Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

P0016 Code crankshaft & camshaft misalignment

Old 09-02-2008, 12:04 PM
weallaby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0016 Code crankshaft & camshaft misalignment

2005 caravan starts and idles OK, engines knocks at high revs and hard to accelerate. I got a friend to read the code (P0016) crankshaft & camshaft misalignment. Done some reseach and found people replacing camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, re flashing & relearning and some changing the Catalytic converter. there seems to be a lot of guessing and part changing for one code. can anyone direct me in the right direction on which one I should start with and if they might know what the real problem is.

Thanks in advance

Wayne

Old 09-14-2008, 09:48 PM
bestcvb

Need HELP ! PLEASE !
I got P0016 Crankshaft/Camshaft Timing Misalignment ( 2005 Dodge Caravan 3.3 )
Changed cranc sensor .... no results ... changed cam sensor ... the same problem:
Car is starting and going fine to 2000 RPM - after this start chocking ????
Red light is on - steady.. any idea how to resolve ???

Old 09-15-2008, 10:33 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Replace the flex plate. That maybe your knocking sound.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:22 PM
weallaby

Hello Bestcvb

It looks like we have the same problem, I just changed the Cam sensor and know I'm going to change the cranksensor but can't located it on my van. Can you direct me to where it is located.

Thanks

Wayne

Old 09-21-2008, 01:14 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look on top where the trans meets the engine.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:16 AM
weallaby

Thanks, Found it, replaced it and of course it didn't work. Not sure but I think the next step is to check and adjust the timing. Unless someone out there knows whats going on and has a better idea.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:59 PM
mellowde
Default P-0016 code

P-0016 code means you are out of timing. Stretched chain/belt from years of use, or recently done work involving the timing chain has caused the timing to be off. This means that the valves are not in the proper position when the spark occurs and injectors spray causing blow by at one or both valves at one or more cylinders. This can cause erratic rough operation including bending valves, damaged pistons etc if not corrected in a timely manner. Most times if you're getting the p-0016 code your engine is still running and your timing isn't too far out, yet. DON'T CONTINUE TO OPERATE WITH THIS CONDITION PRESENT OR YOU MAY NEED TO REPLACE THE ENGINE. Severe damage can occur with this code present. You will need to replace the timing belt or timing chain(s) & align the pulleys/sprockets to proper position to repair. Probably not the stuff most will be able to do at home. Get an honest mechanic to do the repair and make sure he has the tools necessary. Special tools are required to do this properly. Or junk the car and get another.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Rabies_00
Default 03 Neon

First I had a code for my crankshaft position sensor. Was hard to get started. The engine would have to turn over for about 10 seconds before firing. I replaced the crankshaft sensor and that problem went away. That code when away for quite a few days and then I got another code for misfire in cylinder #4. I thought this to be strange. I started to get the same hard starting problem. I waited a few days and checked the codes again. The misfire code was no longer active but my camshaft position sensor code was up. So I replaced the camshaft position sensor. The car starts great now and seems to run better (slight advance on the timing is my guess). But now I have the nasty P0016 code. By definition of that code it states "camshaft position out of phase with crankshaft". What baffles me is why is this code just now popping up?? It seems that I fix one engine code and another one appears. It seems that I'm going to tear apart the timing cover to inspect my belt and gears. Very frustrating. I wonder if Toyota owners have these issues with engine codes.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:14 AM
mellowde
Default Try the timing chain(s)

Not familiar with your particular vehicle. Does it have timing chains or belt? Stretched belt or chains can cause this erratic error codes. Sometimes excess can be lined up and sometimes not depending on position of all parts when engine stops. I know on my Ram the chains are sold in sets with new tensioners and do require replacement when worn or stretched or tensioners not able to keep up with excess length. If one does break it's goodbye engine. So this warning may have a good side.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Rabies_00
Default 03 Neon

I agree. I will note...the cam and crank sensors were advertised by the manufacturer to EXCEED OEM specs and are supposedly more sensitive than the OE sensors. I have 230k miles on the old neon and it's still got the original timing belt and tensioner so YES I'm leaning toward a stretched timing belt and/or weak tensioner with the slight possibility than the belt has slipped a tooth. The cam/crank gear do not contact anyother gear or metal so I highly doubt I am missing any teeth. I've been dreading changing that belt for a long time. Disconnection of many components is required to get it done and by the time i get all that done and with my luck...I'll probably find a bad crank seal or oil pump seal which would probably render some tool chucking. I try to order all my parts from advanced online because you get 20% off orders and free shipping. Ordering what I think I will need and finding out I need more would mean reassembly of everything so I could get to work and then tearing it all down again to fix the other problems I found. Hopefully she'll hold together for about a week until the parts come in (not recommended...I know).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0016 Code crankshaft & camshaft misalignment