1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Squealing drive belt. Tried Everything!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:24 PM
wood714
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing drive belt. Tried Everything!

I've got a 96 Dakota with the 3.9 V6.

I'd been having minor problems with the belt squealing. I replaced the tensioner, and belt a year and a half ago, and that helped for a while.

Then it started back. At first just when it was cold then it would stop. Not it sounds like someone is slaughtering a hog under my hood.

I've replaced the belt, and that didn't help any. I thought a pulley or bearing was going bad on something. I called an old timer mechanic, and he came over and checked it out, and said the tensioner was OK, then he put a little brake fluid on a rag, and held it against the belt. Instant silence as soon as he did it. That made me think the there were no problems with any of the pulley's, but the noise came back after just a few miles.

I called him again, and asked if he was sure the tensioner couldn't be bad, and he keeps telling me no, that its fine. It does seem to keep the belt tight, but other than replacing it, and the belt I don't have a clue what to do.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure all pullies are line up corectly. It may be one is off and that is causeing the belt to rub. Check the old belt for any rubbing issues. The other thing you can do is get a can of wd40 with the straw and spray each pully till it helps. Then you can find your culprit.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:24 PM
wood714

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Make sure all pullies are line up corectly. It may be one is off and that is causeing the belt to rub. Check the old belt for any rubbing issues. The other thing you can do is get a can of wd40 with the straw and spray each pully till it helps. Then you can find your culprit.

I tried the WD40 thing. It made no difference at all. If it were a pulley I doubt the brake fluid trick would have worked.

I've checked all the pulleys, and everything seems fine except for a little front to back play in the power steering pump pulley. Even if it were bad, I still cant figure why everything went silent when the mechanic put a little brake fluid on the belt.

Thanks,
WooD

Old 09-28-2008, 04:48 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a pully is out of alignment. I've even had new belts squeal. take it back and warranty it and get a new one, see if that helps

Old 09-28-2008, 05:17 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

Yep. If you've replaced stuff and tried WD-40 it's either a bad belt or a pulley is off. I had one of mine off like a millimeter, it's that sensative.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:08 AM
wood714

I had an old belt that I replaced a few years ago. I put it on, and is quiet as a kitten so far. Maybe I got a bad belt?

Thanks Everyone,
WooD

Old 09-29-2008, 09:14 AM
kahanabob
Captain

Try rubbing candle wax on the underside of the belt

Old 09-29-2008, 04:45 PM
codydakota
Captain

Mine used to squeal like crazy and i ignored it after about 2 years of squealing, then my idler pulley locked up and my belt broke. replaced both, squealing went away, now it's back, but i know the culprit is my power steering box, it's got a leak and it finds its way to the belt, if i drive it long enough it goes away, it's worse on rainy days or days when it's going to rain (humidity changes)

Old 09-29-2008, 05:43 PM
wood714

Originally Posted by kahanabob
Try rubbing candle wax on the underside of the belt
The old mechanic dude did the candle wax thing the first time he came over. It lasted long enough to back it out of the garage.

I haven't drove it since I put the old belt on. I'm gonna give it a test drive here in an hour or so to see how it does.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:37 PM
JetNoise
Professional

I'm thinking that the brake fluid conditioned the rubber of the belt.
I was going to to tell you to try a new belt, but you beat me to it. If the 'new' belt starts making noise, check to make sure nothing is leaking onto it. I had coolant leak on my belt once and it sounded horrible... Cleaned it up and it shut up and hasn't come back.

Quick Reply: Squealing drive belt. Tried Everything!