1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'99 4X4, 5.9L Torque converter shudder

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:08 PM
gashog99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool '99 4X4, 5.9L Torque converter shudder

I have a '99 Durago 4x4, 5.9L with about 93K miles. Over the past year I've experienced a loss of power, particularly when its in overdrive on the expressway. Even at 60-70mph, the slightest incline causes it to shift into passing gear. More recently, I've noticed a sputtering under these conditions (not noticed before). It is even apparent now when driving at ~45mph and it goes into overdrive - runs about 1200-1500 RPM at this speed. When I turn off the OD, it still 'shudders' when under slight load.

I've done some research on "torque converter shuddering" and have talked to folks who experience similar conditions on GM SUVs. I have run across a small tube of lubricant that is supposed to fix this condition. But, I am VERY skeptical on any quick fixes.

Trannny fluid hasn't been changed in awhile, so I thought that'd be first step. Anyone input would be appreciated!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well let's start here. Go get the trany fluid and filter changed and do a band adjustment. When was the last time you checked the fluid? Do you know how to check the fluid the correct way? Did anyone put the wrong trany fluid into it like a Jiffy Lube by chance?

Then we can go into a TPS but I think a full tune up and fluid filter band adjustment will help ya out.

Make sure you install the CORRECT trany fluid. In other words if you pay someone stand over them and watch! Consult your owners manual.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:54 PM
andyg
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trans fluid additives are a big no. Also I don't believe that a loss of power or sputtering would be attributed to the torque converter (T/C). I think it has more to do with the engine.

If the T/C shuddered, you would only notice it when it locks up around 45-50mph. If you are experiencing shuddering after it is locked it is something else. mainly something with the engine.

I have no suggestions as to what the problem might be but maybe describe how you are driving when it does this? How much throttle input is used to make it downshift at highway speeds?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:41 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by andyg
Trans fluid additives are a big no. Also I don't believe that a loss of power or sputtering would be attributed to the torque converter (T/C). I think it has more to do with the engine.

If the T/C shuddered, you would only notice it when it locks up around 45-50mph. If you are experiencing shuddering after it is locked it is something else. mainly something with the engine.

^I agree^

Do not use additives at all!

A shudder can occur if someone used the wrong fluid or low.

Quick Reply: '99 4X4, 5.9L Torque converter shudder