1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dakota Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Senate427
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 93 Dakota Transmission Problem?

I own a 1993 Dodge Dakota V6 4x4 with about 153,000 miles on it. My truck has been having some issues like sometimes when I drive 65mph my truck rpms will rise to 3,000rpms which is too high and I know that the rpms should be between 1,800 and 2,500rpms for a smooth ride. Another issue I noticed is when I get to 35mph the truck will not shift unless I let off the gas pedal, but the rpms still rise as if the truck is in neutral. So two days ago I checked my transmission fluid and noticed it was very low so I put a quart of ATF + 4 in my automatic transmission and than the next day I noticed a burning rubber smell and realized that the smell was coming from the transmission.

Do you think that the timing belt is causing some problems and why is there a burning smell coming from my automatic Transmission?

Should I get a transmission filter and fluid change?

P.S The issues that I mentioned above happen off and on otherwise the truck runs great.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:43 PM
codydakota
Captain

"Do you think that the timing belt is causing some problems and why is there a burning smell coming from my automatic Transmission?"

V6 had a timing chain, and I don't think this is where your issue lies. 153k is a lot of miles for one of these transmissions. The burning smell could be a number of things, my guess is that you have a clutch pack binding.

"Should I get a transmission filter and fluid change?"

It's too late in the game to be looking at a filter/fluid change, unless you do it regularly, it's not going to help.
It sounds like your trans just like thousands of other Chrysler transmissions is heading south. Unless the burning smell is just some fluid that landed on the exhaust manifold and your bands are out of adjustment (wouldn't really be intermittent). My sundance went thru this and also a GMC i had years ago.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Senate427
Veteran

hmm... yea I don't think the timing belt has anything to do with the problem anymore. I talked to someone on the phone and they said, that the torque converter maybe causing the burning smell and high rpms. Also I do not believe the transmission is out for the count just yet I think it just has a little cold that needs to be treated.

Does anybody think the torque converter could be causing a burning smell and high rpms when shifting?

Old 10-27-2008, 11:21 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, i got to take a shower.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:02 AM
fishlessman
Professional

mine went a couple weeks ago, wasnt shifting until it warmed up, about a quarter mile down the road. then it ran fine. well, took the pan off and found the parts of a thrust bearing, maybe a 10 dollar part, but the damage was done and 2085 dollars later it runs fine. you need to see whats in the pan

Quick Reply: 93 Dakota Transmission Problem?