Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)
View Poll Results: Based on their financial status and likely intentions, who would you like to see take
I’d like to see Nissan take over. If GM takes over and dissolves, Ill go elsewhere for my next car
51.16%
I would like to see GM take over. If Nissan takes over, I wont buy a "Japanese" based brand.
16.28%
As long as Dodge is there, I will continue buying Dodge regardless of who owns and produces them.
25.58%
Regardless of who takes over control, I will not buy a Dodge built by a GM or Nissan owned Chrysler.
6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Merger/Buyout of Chrysler, What is best for Dodge Lovers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 01:17 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Merger/Buyout of Chrysler, What is best for Dodge Lovers?

Based on the front page post, which you can view here, what are your thoughts on the buyout, based on the popular rumors, and the state of the two companies who are the most vocally interested?

I feel that my views are pretty clear, and if General Motors is to buy and dissolve portions of Chrysler, I will still own, drive, and love my current Mopars, but I wont buy a Chrysler product built by a company who put an end to portions of the brand. However, I view Nissan as a great option, as they seem interested in using Chrysler as an American arm, rather than selling it off like a scrap yard.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:42 PM
BlueRam2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with BadStratRT's Assessment. The majority of GM and Dodge vehicles are in direct competition with each other. I would hate to see the Dodge lineup dissolve in order for GM to maintain and/or gain market share. I hope that dodge is able to make it through this rough stretch. However, I would prefer that if a merger is approaching that it is for the best of not only Dodge but for consumers also the GM merger would drastically limit consumer choices.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had to choose, I'd choose Nissan, which is one of the few brands I'd consider buying from other than Chrysler/Dodge. One of the things I really like about Chrysler and Dodge is the bold, in your face, love it or hate it styling. I notice Chargers on the road, I probably see just as many or more Chevy Impalas or Toyota Corollas, but they're so bland they don't get noticed. Nissan has the same attitude as Dodge towards styling, Japanese reliability, and the same "thrill to drive" performance without sacrificing much in the way of comfort or convenience. If it's going to be anyone, it should be Nissan.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:35 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Originally Posted by BlueRam2006
I agree with BadStratRT's Assessment. The majority of GM and Dodge vehicles are in direct competition with each other. I would hate to see the Dodge lineup dissolve in order for GM to maintain and/or gain market share. I hope that dodge is able to make it through this rough stretch. However, I would prefer that if a merger is approaching that it is for the best of not only Dodge but for consumers also the GM merger would drastically limit consumer choices.
Direct competition? What exactly does Dodge/Chrysler build that is in direct competition with anything GM builds outside of the Ram, LX cars, and the Minivan? Caliber? Avenger? Sebring? Nitro? Aspen? Not really....and in all honesty, would be a boon if Chrysler could kill those models off...

When Mercedes bought Chrysler, it wasnt the end of the world either. Yes, Daimler ran Chrysler into the dirt and bailed, but Chrysler still survived.

The problem for Chrysler has been the overabundance of vehicles that get crappy mpg's..... and thats why sales are so down for them. Even their newest vehicles are barely breaking into the middle of the pack with gas mileage. Sure, Chrysler has good gas mileage vehicles, if you buy the base model vehicles with manual trannies...

I drive a supercharged V6, stock, and it gets about 23mpg city, and about 27-28 highway...

Nissan buying Chrysler could be a great deal, but look at the past 15 years for Chrysler....and most of their best selling cars werent even Chrysler built. They were Mitsubishi's... That says alot. In fact, if you were to take away those cars from Dodge/Chrysler's lineup.....I dont know how well the company would have survived...

GM buying Chrysler could also be a good deal, for a couple of reasons...

1.) Would allow for a merger of Pontiac/Dodge and Buick/Chrysler. This would be a fantastic way to improve both lines. You'd have the performance vehicles in one category, and the upper scale, wannabe luxury models in another. The Buick Enclave, which is produced in limited numbers, has been sold out the last 2 years. Imagine that instead of the Pacifica?

2.) Cummins powered, Allison trannied, combo versions of the Ram/Sierra. Both are great looking trucks, well loved, and you could kill off the GMC lineup and input the Dodge Ram.

Regardless of a buyout or a merger, people are going to lose jobs. Thats just a reality that people need to accept. The automotive bubble has finally popped just like the housing one, and people are going to have to come back down to reality. It sucks, I hate to see it, but the harsh truth is that we have way too many brands of vehicles being built, and someone is going to have lose out....

The irony here is that I would think Ford outside of the F150 and Mustang, would be hurting even more then Chrysler....

Old 10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I like GM cars. I do not like Nissan cars. Simple as that for me.

Do not be pissed at GM for eliminating models if they buy out Chrysler. It is not their fault, it was the execs at Chrysler that did not have the forsight to prepare for the future. Chrysler has always been about CID, more HP, and generally more weight. And now... They are the worst of the big three in terms of being positioned for the time we are now in.

Look no further than the continured SRT division. Ford stopped "playing" around with their vehicles for the most part, almost completly eliminating SVT, but Dodge kept pouring $$ into a division that will sell a small amount of units, and now even worse given our current situation. SRT is fun, generates excitement, but really does not impact the bottom line other than to send it further into the red.

Do not get me wrong, it is all these things I like about Dodge, but inronically it will also be its downfall.

Will I buy a Dodge built by GM? Sure.
Will I buy a Dodge built by Nissan? Less likely, but still possible.
Will I buy a GM? Sure
Will I buy a Ford? NO

I am referring to new cars, if old all cars are in play (25+ years old).

Old 10-28-2008, 02:52 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DR, I dont think that youre taking a realistic enough approach on this from the economic optimization point of view, which the buyers would be...while a partnership of sorts would surely benefit your point of view, everything ive seen has suggested that it will be a takeover and house cleaning effort by GM. GM is struggling and has already talked about considering efforts to cease building redundant vehicles, like the sky/solstice or g5/cobalt...it would make no sense from a business standpoint for a struggling GM to offer MORE internal competition. this is one of the reasons that they killed off the f-bodies for a while..as they were cutting into corvette sales. what better way to ensure that the camaro only has to deal with the mustang than to stop production of the challenger?

Direct competition? What exactly does Dodge/Chrysler build that is in direct competition with anything GM builds outside of the Ram, LX cars, and the Minivan? Caliber? Avenger? Sebring? Nitro? Aspen? Not really....and in all honesty, would be a boon if Chrysler could kill those models off...
was this a joke?

The pontiac G8 and the charger? the two are compared constantly...and the 300 is in the same sort of class, but more of a luxury option..that would be more in line with the CTS, in my opinion.

the viper is coming to an end, is may be sold off before the company changes hands, and it is always compared to the vette.

the camaro and challenger are in direct competition.

the sebring is chryslers answer to the grand am/g6, right down to the retractable hard top. (i spent the last week in a G6 GT, it wasnt bad) the avenger only comes in a sedan, but i would consider it in the same class as the gt sedan.

the aspen is a mid sized SUV, and would compete with the trailblazer...

i dont think that they have a real answer to the nitro...and the caliber is an odd one, but i would put it in the same class as the pontiac vibe..no?

Lance, I certainly understand this from a business standpoint, but my mopar blood doesnt care about any of that...if they buy chrysler to sell off the assets like an estate sale and help their market share, i wont be involved in future models...i wouldnt drive a mopar with an SBC..and i see this as being a similar situation...although i completely understand the financial points.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:10 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BadStratRT
Lance, I certainly understand this from a business standpoint, but my mopar blood doesnt care about any of that...if they buy chrysler to sell off the assets like an estate sale and help their market share, i wont be involved in future models...i wouldnt drive a mopar with an SBC..and i see this as being a similar situation...although i completely understand the financial points.

Easy solution to this.... Build your own stuff.

Put a Chrysler drive train in one of these....

http://www.outlawrods.com/index.cfm/...rod/prd145.htm

http://www.outlawrods.com/index.cfm/...prod/prd43.htm

http://www.outlawrods.com/index.cfm/...rod/prd352.htm

Old 10-28-2008, 03:19 PM
2coff
Record Breaker

I don't like either of them taking over.

This is were the Govenment needs to step in and replace it's car and truck fleets. Contract out to the big three and make them build everything in the U.S. This will keep jobs and these company's going thru the tought times.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2coff
I don't like either of them taking over.

This is were the Govenment needs to step in and replace it's car and truck fleets. Contract out to the big three and make them build everything in the U.S. This will keep jobs and these company's going thru the tought times.
No, it will not. If these companies die off then that's economics. It is not the Government's (yours and my) job to save these companies.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:43 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

DR, I dont think that youre taking a realistic enough approach on this from the economic optimization point of view, which the buyers would be...while a partnership of sorts would surely benefit your point of view, everything ive seen has suggested that it will be a takeover and house cleaning effort by GM. GM is struggling and has already talked about considering efforts to cease building redundant vehicles, like the sky/solstice or g5/cobalt...it would make no sense from a business standpoint for a struggling GM to offer MORE internal competition. this is one of the reasons that they killed off the f-bodies for a while..as they were cutting into corvette sales. what better way to ensure that the camaro only has to deal with the mustang than to stop production of the challenger?
I agree with you that GM has plenty of its own problems, and that it too, needs to cut some stuff out. I've said this countless times already, and a merger with Chrysler would indeed be the best way to do this. By absorbing/merging, you could eliminate Hummer, Buick or Chrysler, Pontiac or Dodge, and quite possibly even Saturn... You then take the best of the models from those lineups, and rebadge them as something else. The Buick Enclave is a fantastic vehicle, and would go great with a Chrysler badge on it..... It's not a perfect choice regardless of where you go. Again, I'm more in favor of Chrysler surviving this and coming out on top again, but I'd rather see it American owned.

was this a joke?

The pontiac G8 and the charger? the two are compared constantly...and the 300 is in the same sort of class, but more of a luxury option..that would be more in line with the CTS, in my opinion.

the viper is coming to an end, is may be sold off before the company changes hands, and it is always compared to the vette.

the camaro and challenger are in direct competition.

the sebring is chryslers answer to the grand am/g6, right down to the retractable hard top. (i spent the last week in a G6 GT, it wasnt bad) the avenger only comes in a sedan, but i would consider it in the same class as the gt sedan.

the aspen is a mid sized SUV, and would compete with the trailblazer...

i dont think that they have a real answer to the nitro...and the caliber is an odd one, but i would put it in the same class as the pontiac vibe..no?
Outside of the Dodge Ram, the LX cars (Charger/300) and the Caravan, Dodge doesnt really have anything that's competition for GM because those vehicles arent SELLING.

I really should have clarified that so I do apologize.

Nitro would be compared to several small SUV's, like the Chevy Equinox....and the Aspen/current Durango cant even touch GM in SUV sales...

As for the Sebrings and the Calibers, Pontiac and Saturn are just flat out outselling those models. The Pontiac Vibe is a popular car, the Caliber, not even close..

I guess what I'm saying is that Chrysler's problem is their current line up simply isnt keeping up with sales. It would be a bigger difference if they were still leading in sales, but losing money on other items...

In my opinion, the move to cancel the F-body was more stupidity then anything else, as I dont think the Camaro was putting that much of a dent in Corvette sales..

Quick Reply: Merger/Buyout of Chrysler, What is best for Dodge Lovers?