2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Clutch Fan removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Erich_121
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Fan removal?

Does anyone know how to remove the fan clutch? I just ordered a new one from NAPA because mine is making a very annoying "airplane jet engine" type noise.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:30 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star
Default RE: Clutch Fan removal?

Just get a large wrench and turn the big nut behind the blades. It helps to have somone help you so they can keep tension on the belt so the pulley doesnt slip. otherwise you'll just turn the pulley instead of the nut. Even with tension it will want to slip, so make jerking motions with the wrench instead of even pressure. Try using a mallet and hitting the handle of the wrench. Eventually you'll break it loose.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can even put a strap wrench on the pullyto stop it from turning

Old 01-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Muy_Pyro
Professional

When I did mine, I had to "make a tool" to hold the clutch fan, because the strap wrench didn't provide enough tention. I think AutoZone even has a 'clutch fan tool', in their loan-a-tool program that would work pretty good. Basically there are a few small holes in the clutch that you can put something in to help keep it from spinning when removing the gigantic nut.... mine was stuck on there like crazy and it was a pain to get off. I recomend stopping by autozone.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Erich_121
Veteran

I was able to get it off using a strap wrench and a very large wrench. Deffinitly a pain. Took me 2 hours, but i loved the money i saved

Old 10-31-2008, 02:07 PM
mxthunder

sorry to bump an old thread. i was trying to remove my fan the other night and i have a feeling its gonna be a pain. as soon as i put the least bit of pressure on the wrench, the whole motor turns over. hmm i guess i could put it in gear? just thought of that. erich, what was your motive for removing the fan??

Old 10-31-2008, 02:40 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this supposedly gives you anywhere from 3-7 horse and it frees up the water pump so less stress possibly better water flow. mine has a lot better throttle response well not that much but its better and possibly a tad better mpg there is a thread on here somewhere that i posted a pic of the best way to get it off ill try to find it for you

edit: heres the link its done farther on the page best way to do it, i did it with two small ****ty pairs of pliers up here at school it was easier with bigger monkey wrenches when i did it at home the one time https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/177667-fan-removal.html

Last edited by TheePlaymaker; 10-31-2008 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch Fan removal?