2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad fuel pump, Is there a fuel pump fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:35 PM
62Rampsidekid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad fuel pump, Is there a fuel pump fuse?

I have a 99 2500 with the 5.9 gas engine. It has around 160,000 miles and the pump was replaced around the 100,000 mile mark at the dealer since they convinced my wife that the fuel filter needed to be changed while in for other sensor problems. I had driven the truck all day Saturday taking my daughter shopping so we were making MANY stops. There were no indications that there was a problem. I went to take my daughter to school Monday morning, and when I tried to start the engine, I heard the engine start to catch and let off the switch. The engine didn't catch so I tried to start it again and it tried and then just continued to crank.

I am pretty sure my fuel pump is bad. No sound when you turn the key, engine starts when starting fluid is sprayed in the intake. I have checked the fuel pump relay, relay is good, power is where it is supposed to be in the relay box. Of course, during the day shopping, I filled the 35 gallon tank. Well, at least when I ran it through emmisions testing Saturday morning it passed!

I have searched a little around here and found a few threads mentioning a fuel pump fuse. Is there a fuse? I have not found one but thought I would ask before dropping the tank to replace the pump if the pump is not bad. Any other ideas or tips?

Last edited by 62Rampsidekid; 11-26-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a couple of things.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:15 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is no fuse for it, but have you checked them all anyway? And have you checked to see if you are getting power to the pump itself and the ground wires ? It's probably the pump anyway, but can't hurt to check the wiring going to it. And since you have that much gas, Find a friend or siphon the gas out to your other vehicles to pull the tank, or raise the bed of the truck if you have a bunch of friends. :-)

Old 11-26-2008, 06:59 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Page 4A-2 illustration 3.2 in my Hanyes manual shows a fuel pump fuse.
Looks like its in with the ones that are under the hood.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:23 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry! I read the OP too quick and thought he was talking about a fuse in the panel by the driver door. However, if the one in the PDC is blown(wishful thinking on these trucks) the pump (or a shorted wire, unlikley for this situation)is toast.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:02 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a pump fuse in the PDC. check the fuel pump relay, and the auto shutdown relay while your at it. you can jumper wires between 30 87 i belive, or use a mulitmeter to check the resistance between 85+86 and 30+87

i had the same problem with the full gas tank with a dead pump. best way is to take some small bottle jacks, unbolt the 4 bolts (i think for a short bed) out and jack the bed up. raise it high enough to pull the pump out, and your golden.

Quick Reply: Bad fuel pump, Is there a fuel pump fuse?