3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 shift on fly

Old 12-02-2008, 04:56 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 shift on fly

Whenever I am stopped and in park, if I shift to 4 wheel drive before I start driving I notice nothing different in the steering or anything. Now, a few days ago I was at a light obv. in the "drive" gear but I was stopped and I put it in 4 wheel drive, so when I got the green light I did a U-turn and I noticed it was harder to turn and there was a little tension in the wheels where I had to give it a big more gas to get the truck going, the same thing also happend about a year ago when I tried shifitng to 4 wheel for the first time on the fly, I was probably going about 20mph and when I shifted, something wasn't right, I had to give it more gas to get the truck to move and it seemed like the wheels were trying to hold me up and resisted moving just like I expirienced the other day. But like I said before, when I am in "park" and not moving, if I put it in 4-wheel I have no problems at all...does or has anyone ever expirienced problems when shifting on the fly to 4-wheel like I do. Ever since last year when I shifted on the fly I have not shifted while in motion. If anyone knows what the problem may be, any info is appreciated.

Thank You

Old 12-02-2008, 05:04 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Binding while turning is perfectly normal in 4wd. I think that when you are moving it just becomes so obvious that it's easy and then the next thing you know your gettin on the gas and cranking a bit harder. Nothin wrong. It's workin as it should

Old 12-02-2008, 05:22 PM
04 HEMI 04
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Steve1990
Whenever I am stopped and in park, if I shift to 4 wheel drive before I start driving I notice nothing different in the steering or anything. Now, a few days ago I was at a light obv. in the "drive" gear but I was stopped and I put it in 4 wheel drive, so when I got the green light I did a U-turn and I noticed it was harder to turn and there was a little tension in the wheels where I had to give it a big more gas to get the truck going, the same thing also happend about a year ago when I tried shifitng to 4 wheel for the first time on the fly, I was probably going about 20mph and when I shifted, something wasn't right, I had to give it more gas to get the truck to move and it seemed like the wheels were trying to hold me up and resisted moving just like I expirienced the other day. But like I said before, when I am in "park" and not moving, if I put it in 4-wheel I have no problems at all...does or has anyone ever expirienced problems when shifting on the fly to 4-wheel like I do. Ever since last year when I shifted on the fly I have not shifted while in motion. If anyone knows what the problem may be, any info is appreciated.

Thank You
u can shift on fly when going 55 mph on all wheel. dont ever take a turn when using 4x4 hi. i blew my steering pump when i was using 4x4 hi whiltaking a u turn. it was my mistake because it was my first 4x4 vehicle.

dont ever drive 4x4 on dry pavement. and rest other that other many ppl will chime in

Old 12-02-2008, 05:29 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 04 HEMI 04
u can shift on fly when going 55 mph on all wheel. dont ever take a turn when using 4x4 hi. i blew my steering pump when i was using 4x4 hi whiltaking a u turn. it was my mistake because it was my first 4x4 vehicle.

dont ever drive 4x4 on dry pavement. and rest other that other many ppl will chime in
So then what's the point of 4x4 if you can't take a turn while in 4 wheel drive?

Old 12-02-2008, 05:31 PM
04 HEMI 04
Captain

uhh i blew up the steering pump!!!! Ill admit i dont have a point but maybe some other has a point

Old 12-02-2008, 05:35 PM
uspatriot
Professional

You wont blow a steering pump if you turn in 4x4, maybe he turned the wheel all the way when he was stopped.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:39 PM
sos
All Star

You shouldn't be driving in 4wd unless you are on a slippery surface. Driving in 4wd on dry pavement can cause damage to your transfer case, transmission, or steering. 4wd can be used when turning, but it's meant for snow, mud, etc.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:40 PM
04 HEMI 04
Captain

Originally Posted by uspatriot
You wont blow a steering pump if you turn in 4x4, maybe he turned the wheel all the way when he was stopped.
ACTUALLY i was in the motion in the snow. Some how i blew the pump.. my good friend replaced it for free

Old 12-02-2008, 05:42 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

When I used the 4x4 a few days ago it was sleeting/raining so the roads weren't dry or anything but the only reason I put it in 4x4 was to see if I still had that resistance that I had last year during the winter.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:47 PM
08DodgeTRX
Professional

You can use your 4WD on the dry ground, but really theirs no need for it on the pavement. We do it all the time with our Jeep and so do countless other off-roads. The drive train binds b/c you have locked the front and rear drive shafts together but your front and rear wheels are traveling different arc paths, the same is true for the passenger and drivers side wheels but your differential takes care of that difference. Drive train binding is a sign of stress and means you may end up breaking something.... but hey you gotta pay to play.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 shift on fly