2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Average cost to rebuild your rear end?

Old 12-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Jimmeh
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Average cost to rebuild your rear end?

Called a few wrecking yards, and only one has Dodge parts, and they want $550 for a rear end. So, I am wondering if anybody has rebuilt their own, and how much you spent.

I have the 9.25 rear end with 3.55's, and I believe I need a new ring and pinion, and I figured I will replace the interior and exterior bearings.

If anybodies got info, that'd be great. Any advice on the process would also be wonderful, LOL!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no actual experience, and some guessing, but gears are about $200-300, install kit w/bearings about $125, labor ~~i'm guessing....150-250. a little more for outer axle bearings and seals. assuming your axles, carrier, spider gears are ok.. that would come to about 500-600+, and everything would be NEW.

if you add a new or repaired LSD or Locker, you can tie up more money.

beware the stock LSD from a junk yard. it'll likely be broken and not work right. they're crap.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 12-10-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rebuilt mine three years ago all the bearings and gears. Ordered all of the parts straight from Mopar for $450 and some change.
You can probably save a little by going to Oreily's or something like that.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Jimmeh
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
no actual experience, and some guessing, but gears are about $200-300, install kit w/bearings about $125, labor ~~i'm guessing....150-250. a little more for outer axle bearings and seals. assuming your axles, carrier, spider gears are ok.. that would come to about 500-600+, and everything would be NEW.

if you add a new or repaired LSD or Locker, you can tie up more money.

beware the stock LSD from a junk yard. it'll likely be broken and not work right. they're crap.
Noob questions. What's LSD? Limited Slip Diff?

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
I rebuilt mine three years ago all the bearings and gears. Ordered all of the parts straight from Mopar for $450 and some change.
You can probably save a little by going to Oreily's or something like that.
Thanks. A guy I know works at Napa, but he doesn't give me discounts, he just helps me find good deals. I was just curious how much I'll be spending.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:37 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LSD = limited slip.
i see you're in montana. you'll probably want some kind of traction aid, either an LSD or Locker. If you have the stock LSD you'll want to rebuild it too, or replace it with something better. stock lsd can be rebuilt for not too many $$. i'll get bashed for suggesting it. several forum members like the tru-trac. i think its kind of pricey.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to replace my rear end...it has a big crack in it and has been leaking lately.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:43 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL, try some Royal Pink! It's full synthetic.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:02 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI. I charge 400 dollars labor to completely rebuild a rear end, plus parts. A ring and pinion set are not too bad. Check out randys ring and pinion, i have found the best prices from these guys. If you want an lsd i would strongly recommend the true trac.

I explained just about the entire process in another thread, search for rear ends and you should be able to find my post.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Jimmeh
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
LSD = limited slip.
i see you're in montana. you'll probably want some kind of traction aid, either an LSD or Locker. If you have the stock LSD you'll want to rebuild it too, or replace it with something better. stock lsd can be rebuilt for not too many $$. i'll get bashed for suggesting it. several forum members like the tru-trac. i think its kind of pricey.
Not trying to offend, but it always makes me laugh when people associate Montana with needing extra traction, or lots of snow. While it is true that we do get a lot of snow, it's not much more then most of the Northwest. We just have longer winters.

I have been driving around in 2WD with bald tires just fine so far, and most of the roads are crap. So I don't think I'll spend the extra dough on a LSD.

Originally Posted by Ram2K1
I need to replace my rear end...it has a big crack in it and has been leaking lately.

Have you done the diaper mod?

Originally Posted by zman17
LOL, try some Royal Pink! It's full synthetic.
Do they make a generic brand of that stuff? It's a little too pricey for me

Originally Posted by MonteC
FYI. I charge 400 dollars labor to completely rebuild a rear end, plus parts. A ring and pinion set are not too bad. Check out randys ring and pinion, i have found the best prices from these guys. If you want an lsd i would strongly recommend the true trac.

I explained just about the entire process in another thread, search for rear ends and you should be able to find my post.
Are you saying you charge 400 for labor on top of the price for parts, or the whole thing? My mechanic said it would be $600 if it was just a bearing kit, $1000 if it needed a ring and pinion.

And I searched all your posts, and I never did see anything about the rear end. I may not have looked hard enough, though.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:54 PM
jmhai
Veteran

You can also search by posters name in advanced....maybe easier that way to find what you seek...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Average cost to rebuild your rear end?