3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Knocking or ticking sound after the engine is running for a while in cold weather

Old 12-14-2008, 11:24 AM
bluedodgeram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Knocking or ticking sound after the engine is running for a while in cold weather

I live up here in cold Canada, and when I start up my truck with the factory car starter, at -1 to -30 degrees celicius, and let it run to warm up, by the time I get to my truck, I can hear a knocking/ticking sound coming from the engine, but then you drive it for a while the sound is gone?????? It doesn't do it at first start up, but after roughly 5 minutes. Does anyone know what this is? and I know it's not piston slap, because I know how that sounds like. Anyone else have that issue, I was also told it is also due to low oil pressure, on a new truck???
It is a 5.7 hemi w/MDS....

Old 12-14-2008, 12:42 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could be a small exhaust leak and then when the motor and everything warms up the metal expands closing off the leak, maybe the doughnut gaskets?
happened in my fathers f-150, he was freaking out thinking his motor was going bad and turned out to be a exhaust manifold leak, which went away when his motor warmed up.

could also be lifters tapping? maybe try some lucas oil stabalizer, stuff works great imo.

have you tried listening for the noise with the hood up and maybe get underneath the truck and try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

good luck

Old 12-14-2008, 12:51 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

DON'T Put the Lucas in a 06-up hemi. It is way too thick for the MDS and will cause problems.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:18 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine does it too when its cold out. mine sounds more like lifters.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been noticing it on startup, too. It sounds *almost* like a compressor belt running, or something, but I don't have the AC on. I've got a Flowmaster series 50 exhaust on it that's about three years old, so I was also thinking it could be the exhaust starting to go bad. From my experience, Flowmasters only last a couple of years, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Sometimes it seems like it's coming from the back, but I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the front, though.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:00 PM
sos
All Star

What are you running for gas? If it's regular 87, try 89 octane and see if that makes it go away. Your engine might not be so tolerant of the lower octane in the winter blends.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

I always use mid-grade in my truck religiously, which is 89 everywhere around here.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recomend running a good synthetic oil. It makes alot of noises quieter. Run 89 oct gas.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Mobil 1 5/20 always since after break in.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:03 PM
bluedodgeram
Rookie

Thanks guys for the help, I appreciate it. I'll try running 89 octane in her to see if it stops the noise, I checked for a exhaust leaks, and everything is fine, I could not find any leaks at all. Do you guys know when is the break-in period with these hemi's? I heard it's around 100 000 kms's. Is it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Knocking or ticking sound after the engine is running for a while in cold weather