3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel overflow when filling

Old 03-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Accurate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel overflow when filling

Is anyone else having this problem?

When I fill the tank and use the handle's clasp at the pump, gas overfills and spills. Doesn't matter what gas station or pump. It has done it as long as I've had it. I have to listen for the fill sound to change and stop it early. Usually now I just stop at 30 or 40 bucks because I'm tired of holding my head near the fuel fill to listen for the sound to change.

I brought it to a local dealer, and they said "it may just be normal for the rams". I thought that was an odd response. I left it with them for the day, and on my way home, I called Dodge Customer Service. The woman I spoke with was great. She immediatly said "no, that is not normal", and she offered to call the dealer to tell them to let her know if they couldn't find the problem.

The dealer found a crack in the vacuum canister and replaced it. They said I probably hit something. I charish this truck, and I think I would know if I hit something... I would think I would see it in the road or at least hear it hit. They replaced it under warranty anyway. It worked fine for about 3 or 4 fill ups, but then started overflowing again. It spills so much so quickly that it even gets my shoes!! I am going to bring it back to the dealer, but fixed or not, I don't think I'll ever trust it to shut off automatically again. It always freaks me out when it happens because of the custom paint. Maybe I'm lucky, but it hasn't hurt the paint.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:54 PM
nos4fuel
Veteran
Default RE: Fuel overflow when filling

sorry bro, i havent had that problem. You may want to see if there is some way to contact Dodge corporate and inform them because i doubt the dealership really cares about that kind of thing. They'll just keep messing with things until it gets fixed but who knows how much you'll have spent by then!!! Do you have a friend who's a mechanic? If so, try getting him to look at it.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:01 PM
PyRoHAvoC
Professional

from what i understand, those pumps know when to click off from the backpressure of the air trying to escape the tank as you fill it ... maybe the air from your tank is escaping some other way and therefore not creating enough pressure to trip the pumps kill switch ... just my $.02

Old 03-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Sam!
Professional

Mine does the same, well only if i hold the pump nozzle full squeeze, I looked under the truck at the hoses and seems the fill hose is of very small diameter therefore can't handle to fast of a flow (thats how i see it), if i leave it on the middle clip of the fill nozzle i never have that problem. but check you hoses, make sure they are not collapsed there is two hoses on is the fill one is the vent check them.
Good luck

Old 03-26-2006, 05:39 PM
tamuccmike
Veteran

happens to me ALL THE TIME !!! I'm so tired of going into the gas station, coming back out and seeing gas spilled all down the side of the truck. I would have to say that it is probably the angle of the way the gas nozzle fits into our trucks, or something to do with the size of the inlet that the gas goes into our tanks from. Or it could be the nozzles at the stations themselves, because there have been a few times this didn't happen. Last time i filled up i put the handle on the second higest setting (like when you leave the pump unattended and you set it to fill up automatically) and it was not a problem. I honestly do not think it is something wrong with our trucks, i think it is just the logistics of the setup as a whole. Just to ask, what state are you in? I'm in Texas, maybe certain states have some gay laws where certain specifics of the gas pump are set to where it affects our trucks? I dunno, but yes, i feel your pain!

Old 03-26-2006, 07:25 PM
nos4fuel
Veteran

hey guys, just out of curiousity, what year are your trucks? My '03 Hemi doesnt do this, so maybe it was an unforseen problem that was corrected once reported?

Old 03-26-2006, 10:48 PM
mikebol
Veteran

Accurate,

I have an 04 RAM as well and have only had that happen to me once since I've owned the truck new. In my case, I didn't have the gas nozzle far enough into the tank and it shut off too late causing the spill. I think the others may be right about the lack of back pressure. I'm sure there is some science behind how that automatic shut off works which may in turn lead you to the cause.

Good luck! Sweet looking truck!

Mike

Old 03-26-2006, 11:25 PM
speeddemon145
Professional

I have noticed same thing and i looked at the fuel fill hose going to the tank and on my 2004 its is a smaller diameter hose then on my 94 ram so i think its just the pump at the staition is putting out gas to fast for it to go through that smalller hose on the newer rams and thats why if flows all over wene its gets almost full just my 2 cents.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Accurate

Thanks guys, in a way I'm glad to hear it isn't just me... but that doesn't really make it ok. Mine is a '04. I bought it new, and I've had the problem as long as I remember. I always though my fill neck hose looked a little thin too. I'll call the dealer again, and I'll get Dodge corp. involved since it is going back the dealer for the same problem. My warranty just expired (over 36k), but as far as I am concerned, this is re-work for the dealer since they already tried to fix it before. In the meanwhile, I'll set the pupm handles to 50% rather then wide open. Thanks for the advice!

Old 03-27-2006, 01:04 AM
HemiBuell
Captain

I have this problem with my 05. I talked to the service guy at the dealership, said he has had a few complaints but hasn't found any actual problems on the trucks his place has looked at. His advice was to bring it in to at least have the problem documented while under warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel overflow when filling