Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

My check gauges light comes on voltage goes to zero

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:00 PM
mvandette
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My check gauges light comes on voltage goes to zero

I have a problem with my 01 4x4 dodge ram diesel, I just had alternator rebuilt, pcm rebuilt, new batteries & my truck still wont stay running. I charge it up with my battery charger to get it running then 2 minutes later the check gauges light comes on & the voltage drops to zero & truck dies out. Any idea of what the problem may be? Someone please help!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Follow the drivers side positive battery cable to the power distribution center. Where the cable bolts to the power distribution center is a red 140 amp fuse. It should be the only fuse that is bolted into the power distribution center. Make sure it is not blown. Common problem..

Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 AM
mvandette

Thanks! Ill check it out today & let you know how I make out.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:53 AM
mvandette

I just checked it & the 140amp fuse is still good. I also forgot to mention that I can keep my truck running with a battery charger & generator running in the back of my truck to generate voltage. I just have to run booster cables from charger to front of truck to battery. I put a volt meter on alternator it says its charging just under 12 volt, I have also a spare alternator just lying around I put it on and is charging just under 12 volt as well. There is a draw coming from somewhere, I did just get my original alternator rebuilt & it was charging at 14.2 volt when I left the repair shop. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by mvandette; 12-17-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:24 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

12 volts is not a charging state it's batt voltage. charging is at least 13.5 to 14.2. ck power at the back of your alt large lead should be batt voltage eng off. the charging systen is controlled by your pcm. you had the pcm rebuilt???? by who?? with dodge the charging sys is eather on fulll or off there is no middle. it the systen was working you would notice when you start it it takes a sec or 2 for your guage to show a charge and watch your int lights they will go bright then normal then bright then normal. Esp on cold start you use a lot of power on the start. The sys only charges when it needs to.You need to make sure your cables are clean all 4 and the connection between the 2 batt's a good scan tool can turn on the charging system (full field). If all your powers are good and the wiring is good to the pcm you may need a pcm. the pcm is the voltage regulator

Old 01-21-2009, 02:47 PM
#1 cummins fan

crank sensor can also keep one from charging,doesnt tell the pcm the engine is running.sometimes,but not always,the tach (if equipped) will also not work.

Last edited by #1 cummins fan; 01-21-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: My check gauges light comes on voltage goes to zero