3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rattle in front end driving me nuts (shocks?)

Old 12-30-2008, 11:17 AM
BrandonMiller
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle in front end driving me nuts (shocks?)

I took it to the dealer and one look at my TM spacer lift and they said nope, your problem..

nice..

It is almost like a loose bolt but I have checked them all, everything is tight. All I can figure is that it is internal to the shock, mostly drivers side but I think some passenger side too. Makes my truck sound like quite the hoopty for year old truck..

Old 12-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrandonMiller
I took it to the dealer and one look at my TM spacer lift and they said nope, your problem..
Take it back and remind them they have to prove that caused the issue to deny you warranty service. Could also mention if this is how their service is you will be finding a new dealer to do business with in the future. I've had my front end worked on under warranty after the TM install, dealer told me if they found it was caused by the kit it wouldn't be fixed unless I paid but otherwise warranty would cover it. Turned out to be blown shocks and bad sway bar bushings which they determined were unrelated and covered.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:23 PM
BrandonMiller
Professional

His theory was that I spun the seal inside the shock when I took it apart and I can't prove that I didn't so I just gave up. It wasn't like that right after the lift and I have the right tools (press etc).

I thought about going to another dealer but honestly it is a PIA. It is still a guess that it is the shock at all. If I jack the front end up it is still preloaded so I can't rattle anything. I figure if it is the shock all the dealer could do is put another one on that everyone says is crap so I might as well save up for the Rancho's and just do it myself.

BUT like I said, I honestly have no clue what it is still. Figured I'd post up and see if anyone else has seen this.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Well when my fronts were blown I did get rattling but only on rougher surfaces and bumps. The sway bar bushings can also cause some noise when they go, had the front ones replaced under warranty too and my truck's never even been off-road beyond dirt roads and my backyard at home.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:36 PM
BrandonMiller
Professional

Originally Posted by Altair
Well when my fronts were blown I did get rattling but only on rougher surfaces and bumps. The sway bar bushings can also cause some noise when they go, had the front ones replaced under warranty too and my truck's never even been off-road beyond dirt roads and my backyard at home.
The noise is only on bumpy roads or speed bumps but the roads here.. are all bumpy

Old 12-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Give the sway bar bushings a quick check (or have the dealer do it, doubt he can blame those on the kit). If it's just those that are shot it will be a quicker and easier fix than the shocks, not to mention cheaper

Old 12-30-2008, 03:38 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain

Have them check the tie rods as they can make quite the chatter on bumpy of ruff roads (if their loose). had both of mine replaced within a year of getting my truck and the noise went away. hope this helps

Last edited by biker_ahoy; 12-30-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:22 PM
BrandonMiller
Professional

they said everything was tight and it must be in the shock but they wouldn't warranty it. I got a call this morning that "my shocks are in" though, weird. Maybe they changed their mind due to the bailout lol

If they charge me I won't do it, I'll get the rancho's and do it myself. If not why not..

I was on the highway coming home the other day and I was bouncing like a rowboat in the ocean and I look to the lane next to me and this dodge 1500 didn't seem to be moving at all...

It's been like that since I bought it though, it bottoms out on the highway!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

Remind them of the McCarran-Ferguson Act.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:01 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the Ranchos anyway. Best single mod you can do to these trucks. I replaced my tie rod ends at 36000 miles. Lots of verticle wear do to the crap oem shocks. They made lots of noice similar to your description.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattle in front end driving me nuts (shocks?)