1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1988 D100 Loops and Stalls at Idle

Old 12-18-2008, 08:09 PM
1st gen dodger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 D100 Loops and Stalls at Idle

My 1988 D100 5.2liter 318 V8 loops and stalls intermittenly, i have checked various vaccum lines and found a couple of them leaking but it did not fix the problem. Also changed fuel filter and put HEET additive in fuel with no fix. Anybody seen this problem?

Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 AM
lugnuts
All Star

Unplug the idle speed control motor and see if it levels out. By "loops" I guess you mean an unstable idle speed right?

Last edited by lugnuts; 12-19-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:44 PM
1st gen dodger

Yes, it doesn't matter whether the engine is cold or hot. It also tries to stall at normal driving speeds, have to either give it gas while holding the brakes at a stop light or pumping the gas pedal just to keep it running. Will try unplugging the idle speed motor next.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:30 AM
HOOTinKY

Any progress on this? I have an 88 B250 van. It does the same thing you mentioned. Stalls when in gear and idling. Occassionally acts like it wants to shut down when driving. Feathering the gas keeps it running enough to get it off the road.
Sometimes it runs like nothing is wrong at all.

What is this Holley called? Other than tbi
What transmission would this have?
Is there an online guide for this Holley? Should/can it be rebuilt? It has 230,000 mles on it.

Is this the right forum?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:40 PM
1st gen dodger

Still runs bad intermittenly but idles more constiently, i don't know if changing plugs and wires will help but may be my next step.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:31 PM
power ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you replaced the o2 sensor??

Old 01-04-2009, 04:12 AM
HOOTinKY

I changed the plugs,wires, dist cap, rotorbutton,air filter, and oil none of those help.
I haven't changed the O2 sensor. Maybe I'll do that next. Figured I would try to get it to somewhere to check engine code and go from there.

Sounds like this problem is very common but noone has a solution for it. Is it unfixable? Is it so common noone is answering our pleas for help? I have let my van rust into the ground because of this issue. I just never trusted it anymore and let it sit for a year or 2. Firing it back up, I now remember why I left it parked.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:31 PM
power ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try the o2 sensor, is the check engine light coming on at all?? Are the injectors spraying fuel??

Old 01-04-2009, 10:14 PM
HOOTinKY

My check engine light IS on.
Injectors are spraying fuel.
When it idles it will do fine as long as it is not in gear then it dies shortly after you put it there or just as you shift it the motor shuts down , like the key was turned off.
Wish I had a Technical Service Manual for this thing. Best I have is a Haynes and it is MIA at the moment.
On a side note; Is there an upgrade for the ignition sysytem on these beasts? On my Jeep there is a TFI (Ford style) ignition upgrade that I put the MSD6A box in it and it smoothed out the idle and running capabilities alot.
Is it normal to foul out a dist cap every 10,000 miles? Going back a few years when this was a daily driver still every 10,000 miles or so it would stat dieing at inter sections. When I would check the cap and button they would both have major deposits on them. Change plugs,cap,button and all would be fine for another 10,000 miles. Will brass eliminate this issue?
Its last road trip (2006) to Ft. Wayne, IN, shortly after I fueled up it started running like it was on 4 cylinders. 30 minutes later and all was well again. That condition has occured a few times since and right now is one of those cycles I believe. I have never noticed any problems with the fuel injectors when this issue happens.
Thanks.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:28 PM
1st gen dodger

Have not changed O2 sensor yet, was also thinking if my fuel pressure regulator is going bad, if so how will i check it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1988 D100 Loops and Stalls at Idle