4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dash removal

Old 01-11-2009, 02:21 PM
MisterScott
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash removal

Trying to install my lockpick. Anyone know the proceedure for removing the dash radio bezel. I have a Laramie with the fake wood center bezel. I tried a little prodding but it scares me.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:10 PM
MisterScott
Rookie

Figured it out. I will post instructions a little later.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:27 PM
ScottyB28
Rookie

My lockpick is coming in Tuesday. Can you please tell me how you did it?

My buddy told me to take a credit card and pop off the woodgrain panel. Does the woodgrain panel just pop off?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Smoothbassman
Professional
Default 5 Screws and Your In

The dash removal process is really simple.

This is the process for those who have a center console in your 2009 Dodge Ram. You will need a flat screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, and a star drive screwdriver. (sorry don't know what size)

1. Pop off the silver trim section around the shift lever. Just pull up it will come off easy. Just work your way around it slowly and it will come up without breaking.
  2. Remove the rubber section behind the center storage area box below the HVAC Controls. In there you will find 2 Phillips head screws. take those out.
  3. Remove the entire lower console section and set it aside. It just pops out. Just lift up the armrest and work your way around to pop it out.
  4. Remove the rubber piece inside the top storage slot right above the radio section. (It says DODGE on it) In there you will find 2 torx (star drive) screws that you will have to remove.
  5. Finally use a small screwdriver to pop off the trim section around the 12 volt inverter outlet (110 volt power plug) that is on the right of the console. You can see a small slot in there where you can pop it out from. Its easier to come at it from the top. Behind that trim piece is one more star drive screw you need to remove.

After removing the five screws the entire front panel can now be removed very easily. Just start at the bottom and work your way up and it will pop out easily. You will only be able to pull it out a few inches. Just enough space to disconnect all the wiring harnesses so you can set the panel aside to get your lockpick installed. The HVAC connection has a tricky removal process. Just press in with your flat screwdriver on the black tab and flip the gray section up to release it. An extra set of hands to hold the dash panel is nice to have whiles removing the electrics, so you don't scratch it.

Just a note, you can start the vehicle to test your install with the dash off. Its going to give you an error message in the EIC it will be corrected when you reinstall everything. Just make sure the switch is in the off position before you hook up anything.

Thats about it.

Last edited by Smoothbassman; 01-13-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Wrong Label in Step 4
Old 01-12-2009, 08:40 AM
ScottyB28
Rookie

Wow, that seems way more difficult than I imagined.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Smoothbassman
Professional

Originally Posted by ScottyB28
Wow, that seems way more difficult than I imagined.
Trust me, If you have all the tools it takes 10 minutes to make it happen. 5 screws and that's it.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:18 AM
ScottyB28
Rookie

I got a couple star drives but I don't know if they will be the right size. I sure hope so.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:04 PM
ScottyB28
Rookie

I just went and seen if I could do it on my lunch break and yes it was pretty simple. The only thing I had trouble with was the first step. Popping the silver part off around the shift. So I left it loose till my lockpick comes in.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:40 PM
MisterScott
Rookie

Agree with everything smooth baseman said. One added step is that if you have the 110v power plug, you need to pop out the black flashing around that and remove a screw underneath before the center top section comes out. The 110v accessory plug is screwed to a metal bracket that is screwed to a metal brace inside the dash. You have to remove it first. I did not know this but fortunately I didn't pull too hard. I saw where it was hung up and used a long extension on an 8mm socket to remove the bracket but after I saw the the back side of the cash I realized I did not need to remove the bracket but just pry the cover off and remove the screw.

Lockpick works great. There is a tremendous amount of room back there especially if you have the center shifter.

The silver piece around the shifter takes some coaxing. Start on one side and work your way around. Don't pull to hard such that it comes fully loose on one side. I can see that piece breaking easily.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Smoothbassman
Professional

Originally Posted by MisterScott
Agree with everything smooth baseman said. One added step is that if you have the 110v power plug, you need to pop out the black flashing around that and remove a screw underneath before the center top section comes out.

I had that in step 4. Changed my description to match whats actually in the truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash removal