1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

squeaking belt or pulley

Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 AM
timabrams
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaking belt or pulley

1994 Dakota 5.2 with A/C.

For about the last two weeks (became very bad in the last week) either my serp. belt or a pulley has been squeaking. It started as an occasional squeak, now to quote someone else, it sounds like "someone is slaughtering hogs" under my hood.

Here's what I've done so far...

1. New belt. Still squeaks.

2. Took off and cleaned my tensioner pulley. It was well matted with about five years of road grime. Still squeaks, but only after the RPMs are brought past idle.

3. Replace the idler pulley. When spun on my finger, I could feel the grit inside the bearings. (Couldn't feel the grit on the tensioner pulley). Still squeaks, but only after RPMs are brought past idle.

4. Replaced the water pump. Bearing failed the "push and pull" test for slop. Replaced with a new waterpump. Still squeaks at RPMs more than idle. Took off the fan and fan clutch "just to see". Didn't help with the squeaks.

My fear was something on the crank pulley (bushing or bearing going), but I ran the engine for about 15 seconds without the serp. belt. I ran it above idle, so I know I should have heard something if it was the block. But, she purred away, as quiet as I hoped for.

Now, this brings me to my point... If this is a case of "misalignment", how do I measure for alignment and then adjust the needed pullies. I'm guessing I should replace the tensioner pulley (not the entire tensioner, the belt has good tension) because if the idler failed, not much longer until the tensioner fails. I'm also going to go and return the serp. belt today to get another one. Maybe the problem is as simple as it was a poor quality belt.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm about at wits end, and the cold snap that we are going through is not helping. My garage kerosene heater can barely keep up.

Tim

Old 01-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would try a different belt first. some of the cheaper made belts will get to hard when it is cold and not work right, and how much tension is on it, mine is pretty stiff. can you tell where it is squeaking at?

Old 01-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Squeals can be hard to diagnose, especially over the computer. But I can give advise to help you diagnose it. Im sure you have but you didnt mention it. Have you used WD-40 on the pullys. It is simple Just get the can with the straw and spray one pully at a time. Aim for the center frontside and backside (may be hard to get to but try, You can bend the straw to get better angle on the pully). Do it with the engine off of coarse. Do one pully at a time. let the engine run for a few minutes before you decide that that pully is not it. Try all pullys. Sometimes this is all it needs. And sometimes you just need to replace that pully. If you get nothing you can spary the belt with the oil you can run the engine but dont drive the truck with the belt soaked in oil, You dont want it to slip on you.

I would also suggest if you cant find the problem replacing the entire tentioner too. it may be too tight or to loose, or It may be the bearing inside the tentioner that is not repacible. Spary the new bearings in oil too. As well as the Idler pully.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:58 PM
timabrams

So, I tried the WD-40 thing before, and had no results. I did it today, and I accidently got some on the belt. The belt got a little quieter, so I got my spray silicone stuff and sprayed the belt (the motor was running, but my fan and clutch is off the water pump). Instant silence. I got excited and got a couple of my wife's candles and began to push against the belt on both sides with them. No more noise after about a 15 miles ride. I guess it's just a cheap belt. (Bought from Advanced Auto, it was the cheapest at $26.00). I'll buy the "gator grip" belt soon.

There is about a half inch deflection for the belt between the a/c pulley and the power steering pulley. I was pushing on the belt pretty hard. Can someone check their deflection between those spots. Unfortunately, I'm sure that a tensioner kit will be in my near future.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star

as long as you have to push it hard is should be ok, i have seen alot of those belts do the same thing, so maybe thats it!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:13 PM
timabrams

I'm still pretty upset about the belt. It states very large letters "Made in the U.S.A." I expect a cheap belt if it is Chinese. American made should not have problems right out of the gate.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star

to be honest with you i have seen several products lately that say made in the USA and are not worth sh*t. just look at craftsman tools......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: squeaking belt or pulley