3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help!! Slime on Oil fill cap

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:51 PM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Slime on Oil fill cap

Hey all well I'm back from the catpan and hopefully for good. I was finally able to do some maintainance on my "Brandie". So I went ahead and got Mobil 1 ans a Purolater (sp) Filter, man talk about feeling good to be doing something myself on her it was GREAT!! So the wife went to Juffy lube last summer and supposedly got their Premier or top of the line oil change with Pennsoil synthetic which is suppose to be a good oil right?? We had ran her about 5200 miles since they changed it. (I know,I know should have changed it earlier, bought a house and moved no time plus Christmas was here and all.)

So I take off the filter some no-name POS and drain the pan and it is blacker than roofing tar. WTF?? I've been running synthetic for the last 5 or 6 oil changes and never had that happen. That wasn't the worst thing I go to take off the fillcap and it's on there like they used a filter wrench on it. Got it off and on the underside there is this thick creamy yellow crud on the bottom of the cap and there is some along the upper neck where it screws into. I wiped it out and it felt kind of like water wet not oil wet. There isn't any milky substance in the oil pan or any that got drained out with the oil. She runs fine, anyone got an idea on what could cause this?? I'll be checking it a lot to make sure it's good to go, but I'm worried as to what caused it to scum up like that?? Only me doing oil changes on her from now on.

please let me know if anyone can tell me what it is, H-

Last edited by DaHipaKea1313; 01-17-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:09 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The yellow/tan stuff is normal. Condensation mixes with the oil at the cap. Just wipe off.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:34 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DaHipaKea1313
Hey all well I'm back from the catpan and hopefully for good. I was finally able to do some maintainance on my "Brandie". So I went ahead and got Mobil 1 ans a Purolater (sp) Filter, man talk about feeling good to be doing something myself on her it was GREAT!! So the wife went to Juffy lube last summer and supposedly got their Premier or top of the line oil change with Pennsoil synthetic which is suppose to be a good oil right?? We had ran her about 5200 miles since they changed it. (I know,I know should have changed it earlier, bought a house and moved no time plus Christmas was here and all.)

So I take off the filter some no-name POS and drain the pan and it is blacker than roofing tar. WTF?? I've been running synthetic for the last 5 or 6 oil changes and never had that happen. That wasn't the worst thing I go to take off the fillcap and it's on there like they used a filter wrench on it. Got it off and on the underside there is this thick creamy yellow crud on the bottom of the cap and there is some along the upper neck where it screws into. I wiped it out and it felt kind of like water wet not oil wet. There isn't any milky substance in the oil pan or any that got drained out with the oil. She runs fine, anyone got an idea on what could cause this?? I'll be checking it a lot to make sure it's good to go, but I'm worried as to what caused it to scum up like that?? Only me doing oil changes on her from now on.

I guarantee they just put in the cheapest dino oil they had...but don't worry they at least charged you for synthetic.

And like 94rt said, it's just condensation and oil.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:21 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

Originally Posted by DaHipaKea1313

I'm not sure what year they changed the 4.7 around with the PCV, but they do make a re-route for it to stop that.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:56 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It is from a combination of cold weather and short trips. You are not driving the truck long enough to get the oil up to temp and it is not burning off the condensation like it should. Take it out and drive it for an hour or two now and then to keep it cleaned out.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 AM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran

Thanks Guys I was worried that I was in for some BIG$$ on the water in the oil deal. We drive it about 25 miles one way into work now that we bought a house. I'll be checking it every few days. Oh BTW the wife said they talked her into some "Hot solution" cleaner for the oil galleys to help with the oil change they did. I want to just dump the oil they put in my truck right over their heads with the solution to see if it cleans them out. They do take advantage of the military spouses when the G.I's are not at home to call their BS.

Still can't believe how black the oil was, again thanks. H-

Old 01-18-2009, 02:43 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should still replace the PCV valve if it isn't letting your engine dry out. I blew out my right valve cover gasket yesterday because the condensation froze up in my PCV valve. I lost a litre of oil in 10 km!

Steve

Old 01-18-2009, 04:00 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Pennzoil is the worst oil money shouldn't buy. It has teflon which can be very good for the the engine, however, it causes much more trouble for many than good due to all the cleaners in it. Especially for the people that run their engines very hot and over extend the service intervals. Teflon gets like wax inside the engine and acts like a sludge when it gets overworked. When the oil breaks down from too many cleaning agents this happens. That is why your oil was blacker than ever, partly from the tflon doing it's job, but mainly from it being just burnt up inside your engine.
See, oil doesn't break down even with high viscosity. It's the additives in the oil that break the oil down. Oil will never break down on it's own, ever! Stick with the popular brands of oil. Synthetic is good. Your next oil change will be blacker than usual as well because it's cleaning the crap out that the Penzoil produced. I would change a bit early for that reason. No additves are needed. The new oil changes will flush the engine out eventually. The best thing for an engine is clean fresh oil. No additives should ever be used.
Yellow/white substance is common for the short trip runners. No re-rouing is going to fix that. The only re-routing is a longer way to work for the 5minute drive guys...lol
The average engine has almost 1/4cup of moisture in it after sitting for just a few days in damp weather and especially on short trips where the engine doesn't reach past 170* for very long.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:15 PM
dodgeorgethit
Professional

Penzoil sucks...it will sludge up your engine

Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll stick with Mopar oil and filters

Quick Reply: Help!! Slime on Oil fill cap