4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 versus the 2009 Ford F150

Old 01-21-2009, 02:29 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 versus the 2009 Ford F150

Based on the front page comparison review, has Ford made enough improvements to their F150 for you to consider it against a 2009 Ram?

I have to admit, that while I still prefer the Ram, the new F150 is a serious contender, and for someone who needs a rolling office, the F150 is tough to overlook.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:47 PM
osufans
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I was on the fence between the Ford and the Dodge before I bought mine. I will honestly tell you, the ONLY reason I bought the Dodge over the Ford was because of the cab/bed configuration. The Ram offered the quad cab with a longer bed than the Ford. Also, I knew the Hemi was more powerful than the 5.4, but having been a previous Ford owner, I knew that the Ford was more than capable in the low-end, where it counts most. This review proves it, in the towing comparison.

I would have to look at both of the new models before I could make a decision, but if/when it comes time to look again, both vehicles will be on my list.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I waited a year for the new Dodge and Ford half tons to come out. My friend owns a Ford dealership and I really wanted to do business with him. I wanted the Ford to win or even tie, but it was not close. I spent two days with a Lariat Ford and then two days with a 09 Ram.

The ONLY thing I liked about the Ford was the flat rear floor when the seats are folded. I wish the Dodge club has the fold out floor like the quad. If it did the Ford would not even have won on a single feature with me.

I drove the Ford first and felt like it was just another truck. I drove the Dodge and was really impressed. I then drove the Ford again and thought what a POS. I would not consider the Ford after driving the Dodge especially since the Ford cost more!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Rdavenp3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Ford Crew Cab (basically a quad cab), and the short bed was pretty much useless. The longer bed on the Ram made the difference to me, plus the lifetime powertrain warranty and the great handling characteristics. I was a former Ford employee and drove over 25,000 miles a year on my Ford trucks. The problem was that I always seemed to have mechanical problems around 50-60K miles, usually with the engine or transfer case.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Jason Fleming

For me it's a tough choice, I like the looks and the styling of the ford. But the Chevy is definitely out!!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:22 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last two trucks were Basket case Fors, Prior to 04 and 02, I had really good luck with Ford trucks, Now Ford could build a 500 H/p truck that gets 33 mpg and I still would not have any thing to do with Ford.

I hate Ford so bad I have turned down Jobs with company trucks ie Ford.

I swear at Mustangs for crying out loud.

Whats ironic is I was a loyal Ford guy, when My 04 f-150 was in the shop for cam phser issues, axle seal issues, dead battery, dead altenator, new ecm, at 12,000 KM I started looking at Dodge..

I'm the first to admit the 09 Ram is not my cup of tea, I could never downgrade from a 2500 to a 1500, But The 09 Ram has really stepped up and above any thing Ford can throw togethier.

THe 09 Ram is ok, Hual ***, handels extreamly well, and I'm sure with rear gear Ratio changes, it will match a Ford in towing.

Ford iis not any where close to building trucks that earned thier reputation.

Go to hell Ford, You took me thier on manny a break down !!!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If some of you really like the Ford, you need to wait because the shift mapping on the new transmission has mapping issues. The owner's new 09 Lariat that I drove for 2 days has a freqent harsh 1-2 shift that will get your attention. I am sure that they can fix it with software.

Another thing that I did not like about the Ford was that I was not comfortable driving it. The right C pillar and the left B pillar is right where my eyes fall when moving in traffic. Ford made the cab bigger and the length of the truck has gotten too long. Most people would gladly trade some back seat room for bed.

There are just too many problems with Ford. I never had any problems with my 95 Ram Club or my 02 Ram Quad. The Dodge just in my experience has much fewer problems than Ford or Chevy.

The additional tow rating of the Ford meant nothing to me. I tow several different trailers, none of which come that close to the max of the Dodge. Just because the Ford is rated more does not mean that it is a factor in how you will use the truck.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:39 PM
relative2989

Just turned in my 06 F150 Super Cab FX4 4X4 -- lease was up and Ford motor credit would not negotiate. Their loss! So, for the first time ever, I looked at Dodge. Very nice body redesign and the Hemi is always an attraction. Drove one and was hooked. I also had an 02 FX4 F150 before the 06 - both leaked trans fluid into the transfer case. Ford know's it but didn't fix it. (Wonder if their 09's do that?) I've always like Ford trucks, I've been fortunate not to have major problems with them.
The 09 Dodge Quad Cab is a smaller truck but the bed is only 3" shorter than my Ford. Jokes aside, that really isn't a sacrifice. It does ride better & nobodys gas engine can compare to the Hemi's quikness.
I did give up some leg room in buying the Quad Cab - tis ok, I got one hell of a deal on it! And my wife says it is easier to manuever and park. The only complaint I have (so far) is the wind noise. I get quite a whistle above 65 that becomes annoyingly loud above 80. Dealership tested for windshield leaks - found none and claims it is 'normal'.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:51 AM
wildbill
Veteran

You can't overlook the Ram's new designs when comparing it to the F150...redesigned interior, extra storages, nicer ride. I personally would prefer the Ram, and that's not just because I work with Dodge.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:52 PM
it's all dodge
Rookie

Anybody notice the Ram was only tow rated to 6300, with a 7,000 pound trailer? Couldn't mess it up worse with 3.55s and 20s, tallest factory wheel available, no wonder she wouldn't pull. Both Chevy and Ford are running a smaller tire and gearing way up for mileage, bad enough i had an 06 chevy ext cab 4x4 310 hp 5.3 with 3.42s, that think couldn't figure out what gear it wanted at 45, my new ram stays in 5th a hell alot longer, no comparison on the steep hills especially you run the cruise and tach goes to 4300 on the chevy while the dodge only needs 2700 or so

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 versus the 2009 Ford F150