4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 vs. the 2008 Toyota Tundra

Old 01-27-2009, 01:53 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 vs. the 2008 Toyota Tundra

Based on the front page article, Is the 2008 Toyota Tundra a better buy due to its low cost, or is the 2009 Dodge Ram worth the few extra dollars?

Based on my experiences, the Ram could cost substantially more, and it would still be the better choice. The Tundra was shockingly bad.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:53 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last sentence was interesting:

"However, with the lack of quality in the suspension, the interior, and lack of power, the Toyota isn't worth much consideration against the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500."

Old 01-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Vector02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove an 08 Tundra before buying my Ram. The Ram won me over in EVERY category. The Tundra interior doesn't even come close to the Laramie...

Old 01-27-2009, 08:54 PM
socaliallstar82
Professional

lack of power? really? did you drive the 5.7? I know its a few hp/tq shy of the ram, but not enough to say lack of power...i dont think anyways.

And where were the 0-60 and 1/4 mile comparisons? Im sure alot of you where looking for that too.

Last edited by socaliallstar82; 01-28-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Smoothbassman
Professional

Originally Posted by Vector02
I drove an 08 Tundra before buying my Ram. The Ram won me over in EVERY category. The Tundra interior doesn't even come close to the Laramie...

I was torn between the Tundra and the Ram. The interior and the coil over rear suspension swayed me to take the Ram.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:02 PM
skidooinit

If I were in the Toyota camp I'ld be yelling "wasamata wi you". The write up is clearly bias and favors the RAM.
1. I am ok with comparing an 08 to an 09 due to only slight changes in the tundra, but it is not fair to compare a Ram Laramie CREWcab to the Toyota QUADcab. I know for a fact that the Tundra crew is more spacious than the Ram crew + it allows the rear seats to slide back and forth and the backrest may be reclined for a more comfortable ride. The reclining rears are a big plus especially on longer rides.
2. Also no mention was given to the much tighter turning radius of the Tundra. For big vehicles the ability to turn when parking is huge and the Ram wasn't close to the Tundra in making the full circle in the same parking lot when I tested them.
3. It doesn't matter how high the msrp is on a vehicle if you will end up discounting it more than $10k. Ex. most of us have gotten our 09 rams for $11-$13k off from sticker, there is NO way toyota is taking that much off there 08 models much less there 09.
I went with the ram for a few good reasons (price, ride, availability) but if I could have a tundra limited with similar options and ballpark $ I would be in the TUNDRA NATION forum right now.
You loyalist feel free to stone me for treason and blasphemy

Old 04-01-2009, 09:32 PM
AKDoulos

(I agree) haha

This is my first Dodge vehicle so I'm not so sure about the reliability of this truck. I've driven Toyota, Chevy, and Suby's and REALLY liked them all. I was also looking at the tundra and my ram. I'm VERY happy with my purchase but I'm always kind of nervous that my truck is going to break down 10 years down the road... I trust Toyota's reliability... PERIOD. Like Ski doo, price was the determining factor. Toyota only gave about $5000 off and Dodge gave about $12,000 plus a bedliner... NO BRAINER! I LOVE MY TRUCK!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 PM
htvette

I agree with you. I almost bought a 08 tundra. I've been through 4 toyota dealers (compared to 1 dodge dealer) and the best they could do was 8K (only 1 dealer) off the sticker compared to 10K off the ram at the time. I jumped on the ram as soon as they called me and offered 12K off the sticker. I am happy with the purchase because the ride (smoother) and interior looks better compared to the tundra in my opinion.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:34 PM
bls8195
Professional

I am right there with you guys, I knew from the start I wanted a Ram, looks at Chevy, GM, Toyota, and Ford, and drove them all, and feel in love with the Ram from Day 1. I use to have an 04, and I think the 09's are far better, I think Dodge did a wonderful job.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:27 AM
TooFast007
Default Drove them all....

After deciding to buy a new half ton truck with the latest technology I drove the 09 Silverado, 08 & 09 F150, 08 Titan, 08 Tundra and decided on the Tundra since I swore several years ago that I'd never own a Dodge again. That's right, didn't even consider the new Ram 1500. All the dealers had numerous trucks in their inventories and were offering unheard of discounts/rebates and was waiting for Toyota to offer 1/3 off sticker. Instead Toyota's rebates were decreasing not increasing as they got older so I decided what the heck - let's go drive a new Ram just for fun after reading all the reviews. I drove several models and came away surprised and extremely impressed with the Rams, esp the TRX4 Quad Cab with Hemi of course.....I had a $24K standing offer out on a comparably equipped 08 Tundra and went to the dealership told them to take it or leave it and I'll go check out the best deal on a 09 Ram. They told me not a dime less than $28,400 and might "deal" on their additional $500 alarm and $400 for theft etching the windows. So I walked, drove quickly back to the Dodge dealer with the 150+ Ram 1500s. picked out a silver TRX4 Quad, drove it and made a very low offer on paper and made a note on the paperwork for the sales manager to come over and deal directly if he wants a quick sale today, 6pm on a Saturday night with an empty showroom. He came over and I waved some money in his face and "take it or leave it" or I'll buy a leftover Tundra, don't want to hear any sales talk....he whined quite a bit so I told him to go figure how much he's made through the month on their sales and maybe they could stand to lose a bit on this month end sale and pump his volume numbers up......drove the new $37K+ stickered Ram home for an unbeliveable price and have never looked back....very impressed with how much Dodge has improved their build quality, engineering and performance.

Signed,

Former Dodge hater, now a big Dodge fan, TooFast

Last edited by TooFast007; 04-17-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: sp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 vs. the 2008 Toyota Tundra