2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Pan Removal help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 04:16 PM
EvanMacaluso
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Removal help

I have a 98, 1500, 4x4, 5.9, gas and I need to remove the ol pan to replace the gasket. I have been told that I have to reaise the engine an inch or two to get the pan down. It has been suggested that I place a floor jack under the Crank Shaft Dampner and gently lift the engine this way to get the pan free. Is this sound advice? Will this damage the crankshaft or the dampner? And do I have to detach the exhaust?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:22 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As far as I know you do not have to lift the motor. The only PITA thing you might have to do is remove the y pipe.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:51 PM
dodgeboy7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who ever told you that was wrong i have a 97 4x4 5.2 ram (basic the same truck) i just did mine like 3 mouths ago. You can get it off with out jacking anything but it makes it easly if you just a jack on the front cross member and jack it up a couple inchs not lifting the tire up. Make sure you use stands too. Yea you NEVER JACK ON THE MOTOR instil you want to brake something. That a big NO NO. It not hard just discount the battery pull the starter and the cover that on the trans so you and see the fly wheel, drain the oil of cousre and take out the bolts hold the pan on. Only took about 1 hour.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:12 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

theres a DIY on http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/index.php i looked and can find it , i have it on my bookmark at home but i'm not home will post it later if you can not find it.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:20 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You do not need to hoist the engine, unless you own a deep tranny pan for a longer stroked crankshaft like the R/T trucks, or a 390 or 408 stroker might need. You will need to remove the starter, and tranny brackets to drop the pan. It's been a year since I last did this and I can't recall exactly, but I think you'll also have to take the dust cover off the tranny as the pan and cover are kind of linked together, you'll see what I mean when you're down there.

When you drop the pan and put the new gasket on top of the pan, tie the gasket to the pan in the four corners with thread thru the gasket and pan bolt holes. That way when you swing the pan into position, the gasket won't wiggle around. Thread the bolts in to hold the pan steady and before you torque it down, cut the strings and pull them out, or they'll wick oil past the gasket. Don't forget the dust cover will have to go with it if you have to remove it.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:57 AM
dodgeram07
Champion

found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/rearmain.php

Old 01-30-2009, 04:09 PM
EvanMacaluso
Default Got her done.....

Thanks for all the tips. I did end up lifting the motor and it allowed the pan to drop. I think I might have been able to do it without raising the motor if I would have removed the starter and tranny dust cover but I didn't figure that out till the engine was already up so...Long story short, she is back together and running good so far.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:56 AM
papa_smurf73

Sorry to necrobump an old thread, but I felt it was relative to my issue. I have a second gen 1997 dodge ram 4WD auto.

I followed instructions to remove the oil pan from a site someone posted above:

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-31.html

Its a great write up for sure. I'm able to get all oil pan bolts removed with minimal effort. However, for what ever reason, I cannot get the damn starter off to save my life. Its like its welded on. I've removed a stud nut from the front/bottom, and a bolt from behind the starter. I still can't get it off. I've also tried to bump start it by turning the key for a second or two. I read somewhere that would force the starter to loosen.

This truck was used in the winter to move snow and salt roads. So its kindly rusty. I plan to purchase another stud nut; exactly like the one I removed from the starter, and try to remove the stud. Maybe its hung there?

I appreciate any other suggestions you might have.

Cheers!

Old 04-29-2019, 05:01 PM
Brian Redding
Default Need help please i have a 1998 dodge 1500 2wd need to drop the oil pan what do i have

I have a 98 dodge 1500 2wd need to drop the oil pain what do i need to do to do this ty

Old 04-29-2019, 09:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Lots of threads regarding that...... and even more recent than this four year old thread.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Removal help