3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 Ram 1500 SLT 5.7 just shuts off ??

Old 02-01-2009, 09:42 AM
luckystrike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Ram 1500 SLT 5.7 just shuts off ??

Hi Guy's, I just joined this forum,, going to pull my hair out or push the truck off a cliff! Had it to the dealer 4 times ! This truck has run good for me for a year. Now it will just stalls sitting at a red light or slowing down. Seems to do this at low speed driving, alway's starts back up. Dealer has replaced many things, problem has not changed at all. I have read others have had to have a software upgrade and a EGR replaced ?

Please advise with anything that could point me in the right direction, so I can point the Dealer in a better direction to fix this truck.

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:15 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

There was a TSB out for that a while ago. PCM flash was the fix. Even though I've never had the problem (I believe my 180* thermostat has a lot to do with that), I know it fixed it for the ones that had it done.
If you ask me, you got a pretty **** poor service dept at your dealer, 4 trips! This was a big issue on '04s and '05s a couple years ago and they'd have to see the TSB if they went to the computer to troubleshoot your problem...
BTW: If it's not a dirty TB or something causing it and IS the low idle, PCM flash issue, putting in a 180* thermostat for all of like $10 will fix it as well...

Old 02-01-2009, 08:13 PM
luckystrike

A thermostat swap would be great if that will help? This truck struggles a lttle when I first start it when cold and may just shut of as I slow down at a light, You think that is a thermostat issue? And I agree the Dealer I take it to might not be to good? It's the only one near me ...

Thanks for the info !!!! please explain the thermostat, why that coud solve it...

Old 02-01-2009, 08:47 PM
mikjammor

Last edited by mikjammor; 03-21-2009 at 12:45 AM. Reason: ((((((((((((((((((((
Old 02-01-2009, 09:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by luckystrike
A thermostat swap would be great if that will help? This truck struggles a lttle when I first start it when cold and may just shut of as I slow down at a light, You think that is a thermostat issue? And I agree the Dealer I take it to might not be to good? It's the only one near me ...

Thanks for the info !!!! please explain the thermostat, why that coud solve it...
It's not an issue of your thermostat being bad, it's a band aid. The issue is the stock, unflashed tune on '04 & early release '05s have a tendency to have the idle fall too low and stall after the truck comes up to temp, when not receiving gas.
The lower temp thermostat will "fool" the PCM into thinking the truck is still "warming up" all the time, resulting in two things. A slightly richer mix, mostly desirable for those with mods that tend to lean out the A/F ratio, such as CAI, Headers and Tuners (why I have a 180* thermostat as I have all three). The other effect is the PCM will run a slightly higher idle rpm, only about 300-400 rpm higher, but sufficiently high enough to prevent stalls.
You follow?

Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 PM
luckystrike

I got it ! However The truck struggles when first started (when cold). Runs better when comes up to temp ? It will stall when it up to temp also sometimes...

What do you think !!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:49 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

the rough idle when first starting sounds like an evap system leak or a dirty throttle body. But ANY mechanic should look for those two issues right away for someone complaining of hard starting and stalling. Especially when it's such a common issue with Dodge trucks. Contrary to what many believe, a CEL will not always kick for a minor evap system leak.
The thermostat will only work for those who experience the stalling issue when the truck is up to temp (the common Ram issue) as the thermostat doesn't even become a factor until the engine temp reaches the rated temp of the thermostat...

Old 02-01-2009, 10:14 PM
luckystrike

Thanks for the good info !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:23 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

i got this issue too. i am just about positive it's an evap leak.

Truck only does it after i fill it up from under a 1/4. soon after i've filled up, i'll stop and the truck will either shut off right away or start rough idling. a little bit of throttle solves it if i catch it quick enough. won't do it more than twice after a fillup.

Fix for me is to not let the tank get under 1/4, or don't fill it up all the way in one stop if it does get under 1/4. I just don't care enough to track it down any further.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
i got this issue too. i am just about positive it's an evap leak.

Truck only does it after i fill it up from under a 1/4. soon after i've filled up, i'll stop and the truck will either shut off right away or start rough idling. a little bit of throttle solves it if i catch it quick enough. won't do it more than twice after a fillup.

Fix for me is to not let the tank get under 1/4, or don't fill it up all the way in one stop if it does get under 1/4. I just don't care enough to track it down any further.
Yep, I'd even bet that hat on it. Look for cracks in the lines, especially around the hose ends at the canister...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 Ram 1500 SLT 5.7 just shuts off ??