2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Camshaft Position Sensor and Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:04 AM
whoami5423
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft Position Sensor and Cruise Control

I was wondering if I could have some more experience opinions on a problem that recently came up on my 2003 Neon SXT. About 2 weeks ago the check engine light came on in my car. I did a manual test (turn the car on and off 3 sec so that the OBDII Codes are shown) and found that I had a P16 code and P344 code. This engine light turned off about 2 days later then came on and off again last week and now just came back on yesterday (with the addition of a P340 code)!

I'm thinking I need to replace the Camshaft Position Sensor but I was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas of what else I should get checked. The reason being is that I don't know what a P16 code is and apparently, according to my wife, the cruise control isn't working now! Could it be a bad computer? Is the cruise control anyway related to the Camshaft issue? Anything I should get checked? (any specific fuses, relays, wiring?)

Thanks for your help!

P0344
Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent
P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Old 02-16-2009, 01:42 PM
uh-man-burger

I had the camshaft position sensor problem with my 04 2 summers ago. I don't remember if it was messing with my cruise control though. I bought the sensor and my dad changed it for me, and my car ran much better. If you are changing it yourself, maybe just change it and see if it makes the cruise work again.

Edit: most auto supply stores with the code computers have a book of codes to tell you what's wrong with the car.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:26 PM
whoami5423

Thanks for the response. The Check-engine light went on and off a few times since my last post and definitely correlated with the cruise control. As of Sunday, I have replaced the sensor and everything has been running great.

Thanks uh-man-burger for actually taking the time to respond!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:51 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I missed this one, but I would have suggested changing the sensor as well. Glad to hear all is well again!

Old 03-04-2009, 03:03 AM
neonftw87
Professional

i would also keep a check on your clockspring, it controls your horn, airbag, and cruise control, its located in your steering column, just under your steering wheel

Old 03-29-2009, 06:07 PM
ottoretto
Professional
Default camshaft sensor

Hello fellows, iunno how the camshaft sensor works 1g neon!, i want to know that... and the function of each cable... thanks! 1g neon!

Old 03-31-2009, 03:20 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Um, well. I can't understand that (no offense), but either way, you may have better luck in the 1st gen Neon section instead of the 2nd.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:21 PM
rvrfsh
Question cam sensor keeps going out

I have changed my cam sensor a couple of times now and it still keeps going out. It does good for awhile after putting a new sensor in but eventually comes back to same problem. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. PLZ HELP!!!!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 12:06 AM
ewetho
All Star

Newer cars have computer controlled Cruise Control. The computer can't control the engine properly it will not control the Cruise. Safety issue. Older more mechanically based ones were unaffected.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:05 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by rvrfsh
I have changed my cam sensor a couple of times now and it still keeps going out. It does good for awhile after putting a new sensor in but eventually comes back to same problem. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. PLZ HELP!!!!!!
Are you using aftermarket ones? Perhaps try a factory one?

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Sensor and Cruise Control