1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

fuel pressure and power loss

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:26 PM
WrenchSparx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure and power loss

OK... another nudge from me trying to get some collective insight here.

Whenever my truck sits for a while, it doesn't want to start right up. Takes a couple seconds of cranking to get it to fire up. I've found that if I cycle the key twice and let the fuel pump run twice it will fire right up. Guess this means I'm losing fuel pressure somewhere? Could the fuel regulator be causing this?

Also, when I'm driving down the road and I give it alot of gas, it won't really respond like it should. Sometimes it even backfires like the mixture is too lean, and if I let off the throttle slightly, it actually develops MORE power. I thought this might be the TPS, but now I'm wondering, could these 2 symptoms be related?

Truck is a '93 Dakota 4x4 with the 318 Magnum.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:51 PM
1shotjake
Professional

Your latter problem is exactly what I have been experiencing for the last few months, though actually much worse. My fuel pump has been slowly dying for the last few months and recently got too bad to drive even around town. If i were to take a guess i would say more than likely it is a fuel pressure issue, and quite possibly is the fuel pump. I'd suggest you get your hands on a fuel pressure gauge (if you don't already have one, I got mine at harbor freight for 12 bux) and first check the pressure after the pump, make sure that is sufficient. If that's ok, check it at the fuel rail, if its down there it could be the regulator, also check under load, mine didn't show much of a loss at either ends, but once it was driving, it dropped significantly above idle.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:34 PM
codydakota
Captain

My '92 had the exact same problem, new fuel pressure regulator and all was fine

Old 02-23-2009, 10:45 PM
WrenchSparx

Ok, I spent the ridiculous $60 price for a new regulator, and that seems to have helped a little, but the truck still looses prime after sitting for a while. Could the fuel pump be the cause of this?

I'm going to go by O'Reilly tomorrow and grab a fuel pressure gauge. What PSI range should I be looking for?

Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been told the fuel pump assembly has an check valve installed. If this check valve is leaking and not holding pressure while the engine is off then it will slip back into the tank and will have to depressurize the system before it has enough pressure to start the engine. Most hesitations can be the TPS or the MAP sensor. It may also be a vacuum leak too.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:00 PM
kikazzdakota
Professional

mine does that every now and then i got a 92 318 i changed the fuel fillter and it helped too

Old 02-24-2009, 03:49 PM
WrenchSparx

I already changed the fuel filter and pressure regulator. I guess the only thing left is to get a fuel pressure gauge and see if the fuel pump is getting weak. Does anyone know what the running pressure should be?

Old 02-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

35-40lbs at Idle.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:41 PM
WrenchSparx

One thing that I've noticed is that when accelerating, once the engine gets up into the higher RPM's, the power will increase all of a sudden without me changing the position of the throttle at all. WTF could this be? It's driving me nuts!!! I hate this computerized crap!!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would say tps sensor. hook a volt meter to it and get someone to press the gas and see if there are ant voltage spikes as they roll into the gas. this is with the engine off and key on by the way.

Quick Reply: fuel pressure and power loss