Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Wheel Bolt/Hub Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 12:45 AM
ripvnw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bolt/Hub Removal

Trying to replace a sheared Wheel bolt, but can't get the hub off. The hub bolt is really on tight. Can I break it if I am using a torque wrench? Maybe I am doing something wrong here?? Help

Old 06-30-2007, 01:18 AM
ripvnw
Default RE: Wheel Bolt/Hub Removal

Ok, I got the Hub nut off, with about 5 seconds of torch heat. But the hub won't budge. Any suggestions here?? Does the hub physically need to come off in order to replace the wheel bots????

Old 06-30-2007, 02:07 AM
haidangwa
Default RE: Wheel Bolt/Hub Removal

This procedure doesn't require removal of the hub. I hope you didn't damage anything by applying the heat from the torch!

If you have disc brakes, then remove thecaliper from the rotor and hang itout of the way with wire or some string. Remove the rotor.For drums, remove just the drum. That should expose the hub with the wheel studs. Use a C-Clamp and push the broken stud out the back of the hub. If you still have some wheel stud left, you can thread one of your lugnuts onto the broken studuntil the end of the stud is even with the end of the lugnut -- this provides more surface area for your C-Clamp to push against. Service manual recommends not using a hammer to push the stud out due to potential damage to the bearing. Once the broken stud is loose, remove the lugnut. You should then be able to remove the broken stud from the back.

For installation of new stud:
1. Insert the new stud from the back of the hub
2. From the front of the hub, put on a few washers, topped by a lugnut.
3. Tighten the lugnut -- this will pull the new stud through the hub against the back of the hub.
4. Tightenuntil the head of the new stud is flush against the back of the hub.
5. Remove the lugnut and washers and reinstall your brakes.

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:50 AM
smokem10

will this procedure work on a 05 GC???

Originally Posted by haidangwa
This procedure doesn't require removal of the hub. I hope you didn't damage anything by applying the heat from the torch!

If you have disc brakes, then remove thecaliper from the rotor and hang itout of the way with wire or some string. Remove the rotor.For drums, remove just the drum. That should expose the hub with the wheel studs. Use a C-Clamp and push the broken stud out the back of the hub. If you still have some wheel stud left, you can thread one of your lugnuts onto the broken studuntil the end of the stud is even with the end of the lugnut -- this provides more surface area for your C-Clamp to push against. Service manual recommends not using a hammer to push the stud out due to potential damage to the bearing. Once the broken stud is loose, remove the lugnut. You should then be able to remove the broken stud from the back.

For installation of new stud:
1. Insert the new stud from the back of the hub
2. From the front of the hub, put on a few washers, topped by a lugnut.
3. Tighten the lugnut -- this will pull the new stud through the hub against the back of the hub.
4. Tightenuntil the head of the new stud is flush against the back of the hub.
5. Remove the lugnut and washers and reinstall your brakes.

Good luck!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Kevioll
Rookie

I replaced a broken front wheel stud on my 02 GC, without pulling the hub, just removed the wheel and brake caliper & rotor was all the access I needed

Old 02-24-2009, 07:33 PM
smokem10

so you put one end of the c-clamp on the stud and the other end on the hub?

SOrry for all the question but I have to do 9 studs on the van, so I am just going to do all of them.....does anyone know what the studs cost?

Old 02-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Kevioll
Rookie

The studs are only like $2 a piece. Mine broke off in such a way that when i removed the brake rotor, there was still a little sticking out and when i gave it a little tap with a hammer it just popped out. But I wouldn't beat the heck out of the thing, you could damage the bearing. If you do decide to remove the hub, maybe it would be a good time to just swap the whole thing with a new hub as they come with all the studs in them already. Depends on if you have a lot of miles on it and i haven't had to replace a hub on mine yet so i don't know what the cost would be.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:44 PM
skiredog
Default 2000 dodge caravan.

i own a 2000 dodge caravan and i have to replace 5 wheel studs .My wheel size is 14 inch and i was wondering if the wheel studs will fit both the 14 and 15 inch wheel size.Can anyone help me with this question.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bolt/Hub Removal