2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

replacing the fuel filter

Old 02-28-2009, 09:52 PM
pipman97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up replacing the fuel filter

where is the fuel filter located on my 97 2wd 5.2 ram ,i havnet owned this truck for very long and dont know a whole lot about it. i do know it wasnt seviced very well and i figure with 126,000 miles on the truck i better check on the filter
i looked under the truck but really couldnt pinpoint where it was

Old 02-28-2009, 11:17 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fuel filter

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the fuel filter is part of the in tank fuel pump. You'd have to drop the tank,and CAREFULLY remove the fuel pump. I'm pretty sure you can only get the filter at the stealership. Best of luck!!!

Old 02-28-2009, 11:26 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

The filters are in the tank. If you don't have a fuel delivery issue, I wouldn't bother.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:53 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

actually, there is an actual filter on the assembly. Its in the regulator on top of the pump. the screen in the bottom of the pump rarely clogs up. For that matter, the one on the regulator rarely has issues either.
In order to change it, the whole regulator needs to be changed out.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:26 AM
96RamSLT
Veteran

dont fix what aint broken

Old 03-01-2009, 01:56 AM
rammandad

But if you do its alot easier to take the bed off with a little help lifting it, than deal with the tank straps. p.i.t.a the pump is right on top, and the bed comes off with like 6 bolts and unplug the taillights.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:18 AM
J415
Champion

96ram got it right. if it ain't broke don't fix it. Leave well enough alone. My personal opinion, if you were gonna do it,would be to wait until you have about an 1/8 of a tank left and drop the tank. the only thing I have against removing the bed to get to the fuel pump is that putting it back on, well, it just never looks right. I'm real particular about these things. recently I had to change the truck bed on my dads truck, and to this day I notice it poking out a little bit on the driver side and in a little bit on the passenger side. I also hear a faint humming noise when I'm driving (air gets trapped in between the cab and truck bed) He's okay with that even though it bugs the heck out of me. Your call though. If you need any help, drop a thread.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
actually, there is an actual filter on the assembly. Its in the regulator on top of the pump. the screen in the bottom of the pump rarely clogs up. For that matter, the one on the regulator rarely has issues either.
In order to change it, the whole regulator needs to be changed out.
You are partially correct. There is a strainer sock on the bottom of the pump, a filter inside of the pump assy, finally the regulator, which sits atop the pump and is visible outside of the tank. It wouldn't be a bad idea to change out the regulator every 75k miles or so. When I replaced mine, I sent the regulator to a friend who worked at the company that made the components for the fuel pumps. The engineers wanted a fuel pump "from the field" for analysis. The pictures of mine were telling -- it looked like it was filled with coffee grounds yet still maintained the proper pressure.

To those who advocate removing the bed, I disagree. It's easier to remove the tank, and once the tank is removed I recommend cleaning it as well as cleaning the straps and the bolts that hold the tank. When the tank is reinstalled, apply some anti-seize to the threads in the event it must be removed in the future.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:32 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1... I also think it's a lot easier to drop the tank. I've had arguments on here about it. But whatever. Even if it has fuel in it, you can just siphon and put it in another vehicle. Besides, if the bed isn't completely removed and it is just raised up on one side, it's an accident waiting to happen. It's dangerous enough working with fuel, why add another risk to the mix.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:18 PM
pipman97

looks as if ill leave it alone i didnt know the filter was in the tank ,i was just thinking if it was one of those filters thats connected to the metal line in between the tank and engine i would replace it thanx guys im learning more bout my truck everyday

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing the fuel filter