2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

where is the ambient air temperature sensor located on a 2001 dodge dakota

Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM
ibcnul8r
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where is the ambient air temperature sensor located on a 2001 dodge dakota

where is the ambient (outside) air temperature sensor located on a dodge dakota?

This would be the sensor that tells the outside temp and displays on your overhead console.

I just want to check and see if my truck already has one or at the very least, have the plug so I can just plug a new one in. I just bought a used overhead console (temp, mileage, trip etc) and auto-dim rear view mirror from the wrecking yard ($50.00) and I plan on installing it as soon as I purchase the wiring harness off e-bay for my specific year, make, and model (I have to provide my VIN) to make sure it's the correct harness.

I'm already pretty sure my truck is not pre-wired in the headliner. But it would be sweet if it was.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

a pic of where it's located would be ideal.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:09 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's mounted on a metal brace on the side of the radiator. I *think* it's on the passenger's side. Sorry I have no pics but if you go to the local Dodge dealer the Parts Dept. guys can print it out for you, should be no charge for that. Unless you have an SLT I doubt it will be pre-wired for the console.

Jimmy

Old 03-02-2009, 03:37 PM
ibcnul8r
Professional

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
It's mounted on a metal brace on the side of the radiator. I *think* it's on the passenger's side. Sorry I have no pics but if you go to the local Dodge dealer the Parts Dept. guys can print it out for you, should be no charge for that. Unless you have an SLT I doubt it will be pre-wired for the console.

Jimmy
Thanks for th equick answer.

But.......At, above, or below bumper level?

Actually, I do have the SLT, 4.7, 2001 4 X 4 extended cab. But everything I've read (here and other sites) say it's not pre-wired.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just save yourself some money and make your own harness unless you don't have the plug for the computer. i just did this myself and it works perfect i have a thread all about it and i'm gonna be consolidating it and making it into a diy soon. granted mines a 2000 but i have a link for a 2001 and newer if you want it. i've been lookign for the stupid temp sensor too lol but have yet to find it or the plug

Old 03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
ibcnul8r
Professional

Originally Posted by TheePlaymaker
just save yourself some money and make your own harness unless you don't have the plug for the computer. i just did this myself and it works perfect i have a thread all about it and i'm gonna be consolidating it and making it into a diy soon. granted mines a 2000 but i have a link for a 2001 and newer if you want it. i've been lookign for the stupid temp sensor too lol but have yet to find it or the plug
Yeah...post that link you have for the 2001 Dakota. That's what my truck is. I'd like to read/see it.

The overhead console I bought was out of an 2000 durango, But I'm pretty sure there won't be any differences between the two vehicles.

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:48 PM
huseman808
Captain

I dont know if this helps at all but i took my temp sensor out of a 99 silverado and wired a auto dimming/comp/temp mirror in my truck. Heres what it looks like for a chevy... I cant imagine it would be too much different for dodge..
IMG_1422.jpg

Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

OK this is from my 2001 Dakota Service Manual. "The ambient temperature sensor is a variable resistor mounted to a bracket that is secured with a screw to the right side of the radiator yoke, behind the radiator grille and in front of the engine compartment."

From the picture in the manual it looks like it's mounted near and maybe a little below the area where the rubber flap is, you know the one we all remove to let more air flow into the engine compartment. Sensor itself looks like a smaller O2 sensor with a metal mounting tab attached to it. The dealer parts guys should be able to print out a picture for you.

The manual says the ambient temp sensor is hardwired to the mini trip computer in the overhead console. This tells me that if the truck didn't come with the console from the factory, there is no wiring for it. I personally would check at a junk yard before buying the harness off of eBay, but maybe eBay has the entire harness? I don't know much about that, but I do know others have added the overhead console and got it to work.

Jimmy

Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 AM
asmodeus289
Professional

That not exactly right. My '01 Dakota didn't come with the overhead computer. I put in an OC in a couple of years ago and the plug for the ambient air temperature was right where the manual said it should be. I had to buy the sensor, but the plug was hiding behind that plastic flap on the passenger side.

And I agree with TheePlaymaker, it's only about a few wires. It's be cheaper to make your own harness to tap into the existing wiring under the dash.

Last edited by asmodeus289; 03-03-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:25 AM
'01rangoBase
Default Maybe?

I am not sure, I looked into the schematics and it seems to me, the ambient temp sensor wires into the PCM, as a ground? Idk, the wires a dotted and on the prior schematics it was the same. Now I know they have to do with the ac. My code is manufacturer control. P0700. My hand scanner code is p1737. So before I replace my PCM I wanted all components going INTO the thing actually there. Always thought this plug was to scan the computer. Was empty when I purchased it. Also my o2 sensor relay is completely not wired into my fuse box. Both were missing and the prongs for o2 relay non existent. Look behind your passenger light. Headlight. Where the windshield washer pumps are on my durango, I get 2 cause rear windshield. That's where the plug was empty. Thats where my sensor plugged right into. Now my truck idles high. No o2 sensor relay so I imagine they took these out to make the car run good for 350 miles before the computers do a whole analysis. It has to have some effect If your truck uses the information in any way. I have a air charge temp sensor for the ac. Without a ambient temp sensor the compressor won't activate. So.. all vehicles are not the same. Mine was not mounted and if it is I have yet to find it. Look by the wires coming out behind the headlight and under the computer there. We should be the same. I have a 4.7 4x4 45rfe transmission.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: where is the ambient air temperature sensor located on a 2001 dodge dakota