2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check Gages light

Old 03-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Dodgey Dan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Gages light

Whenever i brake in neutral or downshift the check gauges light come on and dings for a few seconds, then goes away.Any ideas what this could be or how to fix it?..Thanks

Last edited by Dodgey Dan; 03-06-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:51 PM
rebel01m

did you check your oil latley or your collant

Old 03-06-2009, 01:56 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Did you check your gauges ... what did you see? The light comes on when an indicator has traveled far enough out of the "normal" range.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Dodgey Dan

Yeah all new gaskets (needed head gasket), flushed coolant, and oil replaced, tuned..gauges seem fine?...

Old 03-06-2009, 07:40 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

You'll only see the "Check Gauges" light when there is a gauge indicating a bad condition. It's a Master Caution light. There is nothing wrong with the gauges ... they're trying to tell you that there's something wrong with the truck. Asking why you're getting a "Check Gauges" light is like saying, "I have a 'Check Engine Light' ... what's causing it"? We need more information.

Last edited by TMS Bill; 03-06-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Dodgey Dan

Ok i checked everything over, i noticed when the light comes on the oil pressure drops to 0, then it will go back up to normal..again only when stoping in neutral or down shifting. The oil pump seems fine, everything works great except for then. Any ideas??

Old 03-20-2009, 11:44 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

First, run a cluster check. Key off, press and hold the trip reset button, key on, hold button until the odometer says "CHEC" (5 or so seconds) ... release button and watch the cluster run through it's self test. Pay close attention to the third section where the gauges run through a sweep test. Watch the oil gauge. Do it a number of times. If that looks good, either change out the sensor or ring the wire while moving it around really good to see if you get an open. The oil pressure tap is at the back of the engine, beside the distributor.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Could be a bad oil sending unit, Happened to my roomates truck, whenever he was stopped at a red light or coming down in gears it would come on and pressure read 0 when in fact it was fine. I have seen several Chrysler's come in with this, mainly Rams and Caravans.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:02 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

I'm not trying to make you sound bad or anything, but have you checked your oil level? My truck burns a little oil and one day it did exactly what you are describing and I checked my oil and sure enough, I was low. I filled it back up and the problem went away.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:01 AM
jeskah.m
Default Different Outcomes

For the people saying have you checked your oil lately....
My father has his truck, a 2001 Dodge Ram, serviced regularly and has a receipt for ever three months or every three thousand miles, whichever comes first in his truck, which I very clearly had to dig through to find the truck manual; However, I was driving it and all of a sudden, fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge dropped and the truck stopped running. Had to pull off on the side of the highway in BFE WYOMING and wait hours for someone to come and assist us in getting the thing running again. It just was serviced like...last week when my dad replaced the brakes and there is nothing wrong with the oil level. Trying the trick above, will let everyone know how it turns out.

Last edited by jeskah.m; 05-02-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: left out make/model of truck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Gages light