2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

what oil and oil filter is best for my 2004 sxt

Old 03-02-2005, 01:43 AM
AirWolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what oil and oil filter is best for my 2004 sxt

Im givin up gettin my oil changed at my stupid dealer they are chargin 25 bucks for the oil change and 20 bucks for wheel roation so Im going to do it myself do I use what the crappy dealer uses or can I use what I want without hurting my warrenty . how is shell oil or the new Q by quaker state.I used fram oil filter what should I use.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:50 AM
RayDog26
All Star
Default RE: what oil and oil filter is best for my 2004 sxt

i would use a synthetic blend or some thing like that.... it works well in low mileage engines and new cars... the oil filters are all the same so any brand will do unless u want like a highflow one that will cost a pretty good amount.. but its kinda useless on a stock engine.

Old 03-02-2005, 02:02 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

All filters are not the same. There is a thread over on neons.org comparing them and some of them definitely are better then others. I myself use Mobil 1 5W-30 Synthetic oil with their filter M1-102

Old 03-02-2005, 02:10 AM
RayDog26
All Star

is that post about filters just for certain neons or all ? cuz last i heard most of them were the same..

Old 03-02-2005, 02:36 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

All oils are not created equal, why would the filters all be the same?

Old 03-02-2005, 06:41 AM
ewetho
All Star

If you use a dinosaur based oil pic a brand and use it. As long as it meets GF-4 (99%+ of the MS-6395 standard required by your engine) No real difference at all. Oil filters are interesting. Coupla good articles written out on the net about oil filters and from what some show they are made by about 5 manufacturers. Try (http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html) Basically you get Fram, Champion(not spark plugs) , Purolator, Wix and AC Delco. Although the Mobil 1 filter is a fancy Champ. Read up and enjoy.

If you go back to oils then with the intro of synthetics you get an interesting discussion on what is and is not synthetics. Castroll is now refining and the cracking Dino juice for sythetics. Mobil 1 is doing some of that and then also using PAO oils (Chemically produced ground up). Then you get into things like Royal Purple which uses a very high percentage of PAO oils to make high quality oil and then add their additive package. Then off to the world of truly high performance oil, Redline Oil. They use PolyOlester based oil which is the only base stock able to withstand the intense heat of a jet engine without coking in the bearings after shutdown. This is really the best oil available but it comes at a price. About $8.00 a quart. Yes in my old 90 Suzuki Swift (Geo Metro with a 4 bang) I ran it 10,000 miles on one oil change and it was louder on fresh Mobil 1 after the oil change that the guy changing oil next to me (At the Auto Hobby Shop on a Navy base) noticed the difference. I then called and ordered a fresh batch of Redline Oil.

You may have seen the ads from Mobil as of late and wondering about this 5K, 7.5K, and 15K oils. Well it actually works. If you look around the world at oil manufacturers web sites (Shell for example) they tell everyone else in the world to change oil every 18000 KM or 10000 miles. Hmmm, and to think they do mostly city driving. You look at their site for American consumers and they change their tune to 3K miles. Why???? If you look at the back of some bottles of oil you will see ting ACEA A3 B3 etc... well this is consumer group that tests oils and mandates oil performance in Europe. Well these are long drain interval tests. Hmmm you ask are we being lied to. Probably. As you also look now there are manufacturers that have oil change monitors and they are going 12,500 miles on an oil change. So it must work, huh. Friend at works BMW in 60,000 miles would get almost to the fifth oil change befor the warranty is up. Ford new cars are almost all running Semi-Synthetic 5W-20 and now no longer offer a SEVERE duty driving instruction. Mom's new Ford 500 has just one interval suggested. 6 Months or 5000 iles whatever is first.

My recommendations would be follow manufacturers interval and use Mobil1 oil and filter.
Currently personally using 10W30 Redline with a Mopar. But will probably go to Mobil1 when the new oils arrive locall in stores.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:33 PM
jonbonazza
Rookie

i use quaker state and it works great... i have yet to experients problems...

btw the reason i use quaker state is becuase my grandfather used to work there b4 he died... its sorta like a memory i guess...

Old 03-02-2005, 04:23 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Mobil 1 synthetic. Topic closed.[sm=closed.gif]

Old 03-03-2005, 12:20 AM
SXTNNY
Captain

ORIGINAL: NeonSXT04

Mobil 1 synthetic. Topic closed.[sm=closed.gif]

I second that!

Old 03-03-2005, 02:42 AM
casper
Legend

Mobil is a good brand. Those are some of the best oils, synthetics, and filters.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what oil and oil filter is best for my 2004 sxt