3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bigger oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:16 PM
traker1001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bigger oil filter

I was at wally world looking oil filters. There is a Fram filter that has the same footprint but almost 3 times the length. This time I got the default oil filter, But I think next time I think I might get the extended one. I beleive the model was an HG18 fram if anyone is interested.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:24 PM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I try and steer clear of Fram. One of the worst filters out there. I use either Purolator or Wix filters for the most part.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:26 PM
traker1001
Captain

I have never had a single issue with FRAM filters. I have always been happy with there higher end Extended guard filters. There air filters on the other hand suck.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:26 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

+1, Fram is doo doo.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:31 PM
sos
All Star

I don't buy Fram anymore either. I'm using Mobil 1 filters, and I might switch to K&N.
I don't see what benefit a longer filter would give. I suppose more surface area and if you go along with the analogy to air filters, there could be more flow, but I don't think the engine would benefit from that in the same way it benefits from more air, since the oil is in a closed system.
Also, you would have to add more oil, since the capacity of the filter is 3 times the OEM filter capacity - with our filters already pretty big, you might have to add an additional quart!
Lastly, would a filter that's 3 times longer even fit? I know there's a decent amount of space, but is there that much room?

Old 03-13-2009, 11:36 PM
BrianD215
Professional

I don't see how the larger filter would really add anything. It'd just be harder to get in and out. I think a BETTER filter is more important than a BIGGER filter. I use the K&N filters. They have that wrench nut on the end so I don't have to screw around with a strap wrench.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:22 AM
traker1001
Captain

I would be surprised if K&N was any better than fram or even WIX. I have taken apart both a wix and a fram, They are both made of exactly same material. Im sorry but in anycase I beleive K&N's are overpriced, whether it be for air, Oil, tranny, etc... Just not worth the money. Unless someone can provide me evidence to the contrary Ill generally stick with whatever descent filter I can find. All I see sofar is regurgitating of things others have read.
You say fram sucks, Provide me proof of why and proof that any other filter is better.

As far as the benefeit of larger filters, More oil in the system the longer it takes to muck it up. Also means there is more volume to heat up, those the oil generally stay cooler. On top of that the larger filter is more surface area takes longer to get dirty and clogged. This is especially useful for those who prolong there oil changes.

Last edited by traker1001; 03-14-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:30 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

There are test results you could pull up but in the long run it all goes back your personal preferance. Everybody,including me, has their opinion on oil and oil filters and everything else thats on the market today. You know what they say, Opinions are like a**holes everybody has one. Use what ever you feel that works for you.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:35 AM
sos
All Star

The problem is that Fram used to be good, but they have cheapened their construction over time, using cardboard components inside and thinner metal walls. Mobil 1 and K&N are constructed of a thicker metal. It may not sound important, but to anyone that has had to remove a stuck filter it is. The thicker metal prevents the filter from crushing when you go at it with a big pair of pliers, oil wrench, or strap wrench. The K&N has the bolt on the end, so you can use a standard wrench. If all else fails and you need to stab it with a screwdriver, the thinner walls of a cheap filter will just tear, leaving a now extremely sharp edged stuck filter. The thicker walls of the better filters will be more likely to hold up.
I'm sure all of the filters on the market meet minimum specifications for all vehicles they are designed for, so yes, the Fram is probably adequate. However, many of us use more expensive synthetic oil even though traditional oil is probably acceptable too. Most of us have over $30k invested in our trucks. To me, it doesn't make sense to save $5 on an oil filter, even if you only take into account the convenience factor of removing a stuck filter. I change my oil about 4 times a year, so $20/year is really not that bad. Even if it was $40/year, it's really pennies compared to how much we spend on other things for our trucks.
I'm guessing that the larger filter probably costs more than the standard size. You are also going to spend another $3 on dino oil, or $6 on synthetic to fill the extra space in the filter, so your savings is a wash. Personally, I still don't see a benefit of a larger filter. Considering how much we've spent on our trucks, I am sticking to the oil change schedule listed in the manual, and going with the parts designed for it.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:11 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

do we really have to go through this again...

Quick Reply: bigger oil filter