2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

'98 Dodge Ram won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Jvello15
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Dodge Ram won't start.

So it was blistering cold out a couple weeks back and I had returned home and turned my automatic start to keep the truck running and warm while I ran inside to change. Once inside I heard my keys beeping as if it were trying to start my truck again and once I got back outside it was no longer running. Got in and tried to start it but my battery was dying so I tried jumping it, no good.

Changed the battery because it was 8 years old thinking that'd be the problem, no fix. Tried a cheap fix of the ignition coil, no fix. Pulled a spark plug wire off of a plug and put one back in the wire and tried starting to see if it would fire and noticed I'm not getting any power from the distributor. I had recently changed my distributor cap/wires/plugs (about 3-4 months ago max) and check it out again and nothing looked to be wrong.

As far as a fuel problem I was previously having complications with my truck starting the first time I turned the keys over. What I'd usually do is give it a second or so turn and stop and then pause a second and turn the keys over a second time and then the truck would start.

After complications of it not starting I sprayed starter fluid into housing to try and see if it was a fuel problem and just wasn't getting to the engine but that didn't seem to help either so I'm thinking it's not fuel.

Anybody have any other suggestions on what I should try or look for?

Thank you and I greatly appreciate your guy's suggestions.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
SupaSteve

It's going to be your Crank Angle Sensor (CNK), the absolute exact thing happened to me three nights ago. I used the remote start on my 2001 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 Gas, and I got into the truck and all of a sudden it stalled, I checked everything you checked and it came down to either something simple as the Crank Angle Sensor or the ECU, so I replaced the sensor which was only $43.00 from Advance Auto Parts and it's been running great. The sensor is located behind your engine on the side of the Bell Housing on the passenger side. Your going to want to take the front passenger side plastic wheel well off and you have access right to it. The sensor has a magnetic end that slides right into the engine on an angle and the other end plugs under the distributor. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 02-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Jvello15
Amateur

Ahh.. Looks like I'm on my way to a parts store to pick it up and hope that that's the fixer I need. Thanks! and I'll let you know what happens.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Jvello15
Amateur

It seems I'm having a problem locating the crank sensor.. If you or someone could give me a more detailed location or anything of the sort I'd really appreciate it.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm on the fence whether or not that's the prob you are having. But it is located behind the passenger side exhaust manifold, in between the tranny and block. It is not easy to to see. You'll be doing it blind for the most part.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:08 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that sounds like fun...

Old 02-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Jvello15
Amateur

Originally Posted by zman17
I'm on the fence whether or not that's the prob you are having. But it is located behind the passenger side exhaust manifold, in between the tranny and block. It is not easy to to see. You'll be doing it blind for the most part.
what might you think is the problem?

Old 02-20-2009, 04:49 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just saying that when it's the crank sensor, the trucks usually starts fine, then dies 10 or15 minutes later after warm up. And won't start until it cools down again. Now the cam position sensor is another story. It's located in the distributor and can be checked. Also you should check all fuses and relays. ASD and Fuel relay's are first to check. And pressure test the fuel pump.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Jvello15
Amateur

Just thought I'd let ya guys know the update on the situation that I had.. Apparently it turned out to be that a spark plug wire had been touching the manifold and created a short and also the recently changed distributor cap and rotor were checked again, the rotor appeared to be defective or damaged so I replaced that.. All is well now! Thanks goes to everybody for your suggestions!

Old 03-14-2009, 06:13 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad you got her fixed

Quick Reply: '98 Dodge Ram won't start.