Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

P0442, P0455 2003 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:04 PM
supergordo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0442, P0455 2003 Grand Caravan

Hi everyone.
My van has thrown the EVAP codes. The gas cap was replaced with an aftermarket unit, and that didn't fix either code. I'm probably going to get a MOPAR cap just for good measure.

I'm good with my mechanical skills and luckily all I've had to do on this car in the last 5 years is change fluids and do the brakes.

If anyone can give me a short list of the most common evap hoses that go bad in these vans that would help. I did search the forum for the codes and didn't come up with too much info on the subject.
Thanks for any input!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:44 PM
surfit

I'll be watching this thread. My 2002 Caravan has thrown P0456 (small evap leak). I have replaced the gas cap with an OEM cap (locking style) and it did not help. I have performed a "cursory" check of all evap hoses and found no cracks. I plan to clear the CEL code by removing the ground
battery cable and see if my CEL comes back on. If it does, I think I will
have to punt and take the van to the dealer for a smoke/leak test and get
my wallet emptied.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:11 PM
ghlkal

Tracking down these vacuum leaks is always hard (and sometimes there isn't even a leak)

If anyone does have a "short list" of where to begin looking, that would be helpful

Old 03-14-2009, 03:52 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

ck the lins and flow it down to the ldp (leak detection pump) that is just behind the steering gear under the van It has a wire connector and 2 large evap hoses. look for any split or crack then follow the lines back to the tank . even a small crack is a leak

Old 03-15-2009, 05:48 AM
supergordo

Originally Posted by eaglestorm
ck the lins and flow it down to the ldp (leak detection pump) that is just behind the steering gear under the van It has a wire connector and 2 large evap hoses. look for any split or crack then follow the lines back to the tank . even a small crack is a leak
Thanks. Thats a big help and should narrow down the search. Hopefully I get lucky and actually find the darn leaks!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM
surfit

I bought a new OEM gas cap (locking) and cleared the P0456 CEL code
(small evap. leak). Two days later I get P0455 CEL code (large evap. leak). Start checking hoses? Put the original gas cap on to see if the
code goes back to P0456?

Old 01-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Gogia

did u find the problem, anyway i have the same problem, but never had a chance to check this thread, i was reading back..when u post..but suddenly u never response to this thread plz update have u fixed it , or what happen.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

What you need to do is find the crack hose's. And if you can't anybad hose's then replace the LDP vent valve. Also remove the air cleaner box and there is a small hose that cracks all the time.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Gogia

I will check and update theread as soon as i finish this,

New LDP valve i check with chrysler here in Toronto, is $163 plus taxes.

Charcoal canister $122.00 Plus taxes.,

i replace gas cap with my friend's 2005 dodge caravan, but light pop again back after one day..,

so my next idea is may be LDP or charcoal canister or may be as u describe here...Hoses..or air filter box hose that usually brakes..i will check..never heard about that one.

Good Help..
Thanks

Fuel Gas Cap $30.32..

I decide to check first by myself..and then see what happens...

Old 01-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Gogia

I checked Air filter box Hose attached to it, seems to me ok, that Hose comes from Engine upper compartment right above the spark plug area...and goes to air filter box, it is about 18 inches approximately long...and about close to one inch thick...

I think u directing me to that..am i right...

there is nothing connected to Air filter box except this hose and Big Air plumb coming form intake..

Let me know.....

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: P0442, P0455 2003 Grand Caravan