Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

12 valve cummins leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Arathel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 valve cummins leaking oil

my truck is in my signature, so here i go on a long story.

I bought this truck 3 months ago, it has 140,000 miles and runs wonderfully.
To my knowledge the only non-cosmetic modifications it has is a 3 or 4 inch exhaust, after market turbo propeller, and the fuel pump has been turned up by a local diesel shop. I was overjoyed because it hasn't leaked any fluids at all since i have had it, but 2 days ago i left a massive puddle of oil on my friends driveway after spending the night.I was 6 quarts low, and i had lost it all going from my house the day before. I had my brother look at it today, and he said he couldn't see any leaks after I had cleaned off my engine. Oil had been all over the driver's side, but not the passenger side. it was also splattered all over the bottom of my truck. I suggested that it may have come out of the dipstick, but he told me i was retarded until after i had cleaned it off and he saw no leaks.the way the oil had splattered on my engine block, the dipstick looked like the only place it could have come from.So my question is this, could i have lost 6 quarts of oil through my dipstick in a timeframe of 1 day?
If it helps, on the way to my friends place, i had floored my truck in order to black smoke someone who tried to speed past me in a 40mph zone. I have a 5 speed standard, and think i went to around 2700 rpms in fourth when I did it, i redline at 3000.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:34 AM
CCR542

The only way I know of to push oil out a dipstick is to loose your compression and have the crankcase build compression instead pushing the oil out the dipstick. But if that were the case it would still be doing it after you put the six quarts back.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Arathel

i just talked about it with my boss today, he said that possibly my oil filter was overdue for a change, and when i floored it like i did, it created back pressure and shot the oil out. I know a enough about diesel engines to figure out what my problem stems from in most cases, but as far as knowing about my oil pressure, flow and what not, I am clueless.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:34 PM
st2pd

It is possible that your vacuum pump seal is leaking. When they sprout a leak it can either drip or pour. A seal kit is available from Cummins or the dealer. Its an afternoon of work for the DIYer or a couple of hours labor at the dealer. The seal kit is not cheap for what it is but is cheaper than an engine failure or pouring oil in constantly.

Quick Reply: 12 valve cummins leaking oil