4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rain drops falling on my head. Sunroof leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Mepsgod
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rain drops falling on my head. Sunroof leak?

I was giving my truck a bath today due to the pollen in North Carolina. After washing the roof/sunroof and then spraying it down I noticed water dripping out of the "Oh Crap" handles on both side of the truck, and water dripping out of the over head console. These were more than a few drops it was dripping so bad my floor boards were soaked, and the bin in front of my shifter was full of water. Needless to say I called the dealer quick to see if I could get it in immediately to be checked out. Got it in to be looked at tomorrow. Has anyone else had any problems with their sunroof leaking like this before? Can anyone give advice on what should be the fix by the dealer? Any and all advice is accepted, even the funny ones. I am going through withdrawals right now. I have to drive my old van tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:00 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mepsgod
I was giving my truck a bath today due to the pollen in North Carolina. After washing the roof/sunroof and then spraying it down I noticed water dripping out of the "Oh Crap" handles on both side of the truck, and water dripping out of the over head console. These were more than a few drops it was dripping so bad my floor boards were soaked, and the bin in front of my shifter was full of water. Needless to say I called the dealer quick to see if I could get it in immediately to be checked out. Got it in to be looked at tomorrow. Has anyone else had any problems with their sunroof leaking like this before? Can anyone give advice on what should be the fix by the dealer? Any and all advice is accepted, even the funny ones. I am going through withdrawals right now. I have to drive my old van tomorrow.
Wow. That is horrible news. I don't have a sunroof but I would imagine if it was up in the overhead it would have to be the sunroof.

I would think a leaking sunroof is covered under the warranty since your truck is so new.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Mepsgod
Amateur

I never had a vehicle with a sunroof before, so I thought it would be cool to try it out. It is covered by the warranty, I bought the maxcare warranty when I bought the truck.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:50 PM
drober30
Veteran

What's the mileage on the truck?

Old 03-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Mepsgod
Amateur

2500 miles. Barely broken in yet.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 PM
drober30
Veteran

Originally Posted by Mepsgod
2500 miles. Barely broken in yet.
What ever it turns out to be, sunroof seal or windshield it will be covered.

Keep your paperwork for any future concerns in case they say failures were caused by leaking seals or water damage.

Maxcare will not cover water leaks or failures caused by water leaks.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:57 PM
ShirtaDay.com
Banned

Good call on keeping the paperwork as documentation.

I've heard of windows, back windows, sunroofs leaking but it was always on trucks that had some abuse and cab flex. Shouldn't happen on a new truck.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:33 PM
skidooinit

I have a sunroof in my mitsubishi montero and hate the water drips, rattling, and freeze ups. I don't think I'll ever pay to have a sunroof in any vehicle. Seen and heard the trouble in enough other cars / trucks.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:34 PM
spoon
Professional
Default sunroof

I have always had sunroofs in all of my vehicles, including this one, and have never ever had an issue. Admittedly, this truck is my first American car....so fingers crossed

Old 03-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Mepsgod
Amateur
Cool Update on roof leak (Day two)

I am bumming, truck still at dealership. They said they can't find the leak yet. I will let it stay there until they can find it and get it fixed. We have three days of rain on the way in Eastern North Carolina. I would rather have it in their bay than leaking in my driveway. Wish me luck and hope they find it and fix it soon, I am having withdrawal pains. Driving a 2001 Grand Caravan is just not the same as driving the truck with a Hemi and the other goodies in it. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem looking like someones dad driving this thing, but I like the truck better. So do my three boys.

Quick Reply: Rain drops falling on my head. Sunroof leak?