2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 dodge ram starting problems

Old 03-04-2005, 02:40 PM
deweysdodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 dodge ram starting problems

Here we go, I have a 2001 ram 1500 4x4 5.2l the truck has 53k i changed plugs wires cap and rotor over the last summer lately i have been having a strange problem that i am looking for advice on. When the truck is cold it starts fine if i drive for 10-15 minutes and shut it off it starts right up fine, if I let the truck sit for like a half hour it cranks and cranks before she fires up and it seems like the computer is dumping more fuel to compensate. I tried to buy good tune up parts MSD wires, champion truck plugs, napa brass cap. My thinking is that when the truck sits after been warm the cap is condensating?

Any help or ideas would be cool

Old 03-04-2005, 11:18 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2001 dodge ram starting problems

Any fuel leaks? Sounds like perhaps the fuel is draining out of the lines if it sits for a while after running. I'd pass on the champion truck plugs next time. In the dozens of times I've changed spark plugs on various vehicles I've only ever broken the truck plugs, and between my friend and myself we broke 3 in one change.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:57 PM
deweysdodge

Can't notice any fuel leaks, what makes me think it is electrical is that when it does start there is a strong fuel smell like the computer is richening up the mix because it doesn't want to start?

Thanks for the tip on the truck plugs[&o]

Old 03-08-2005, 07:37 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

o2 sensors going bad? your computer may not report bad o2's (it's a bug the dealer can fix, but I like mine the way it is)
Air filter good? Another thought is maybe your IAC is dirty... take the throttle body off and clean it thoroghly and pull the IAC and clean it as well.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:07 AM
greenmachine
All Star

Had kinda the same problem on my 99. Try this next time, barely press on the gas, if it starts let off the throttle.If it dies restart the same way but dont let off the throttle you can make it home as long as you dont idle. The problem was a "air motor" sensor on the intake. $65 part at the dealership.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:34 AM
deweysdodge

Thanks Green, The thing that is weird about this is the truck runs fines and idles fine once i get it started the problem only occurs if the truck is warm and i let it sit for 10-15 minutes and try to start it, it just cranks until i put my foot into it and then it starts almost like it is flooded or or not getting good spark pulled a couple plugs the other day and they look like a possible lean condition.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:27 PM
deweysdodge

Think i fixed the problem finally pulled the cap and it was toast not even one year on it I think I am going to have to route the wires according to the dodge recommendation. I think that is why it condensated all the contacts in the cap black as soot with white powder everwhere. Just Glad to have it fixed.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:58 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

ORIGINAL: deweysdodge

Think i fixed the problem finally pulled the cap and it was toast not even one year on it I think I am going to have to route the wires according to the dodge recommendation. I think that is why it condensated all the contacts in the cap black as soot with white powder everwhere. Just Glad to have it fixed.
how many miles on it in that year?

Old 03-31-2005, 12:02 PM
deweysdodge

all right, I thought i had this fixed but it is still starting like crap, I have done a fuel pressure test and the system holds pressure for about 10-15 minutes and then bleeds down to nothing, and with the gas smell when it starts i was thinking it was an injector leaking so i tested them with the truck running by pulling the connector of each one and listening for changes in the motor but really didn't notice any serious changes, so then we checked the resistance and they all seemed within range of the haynes manual spec.

My questions are should the fuel system hold pressure longer than the 10-15, the only way to get the truck to start is to put the throttle to the floor if it was a sensor which would be the most logical place to start iat, map, tps, engine temp? or is there a way to pressure test the injectors to see which one might be bleeding down. Or a way to test the pump to fuel rail section of the fuel system the fuel pressure guage i have just threads on to the schrader valve on the fuel rail.

I am so puzzled by this because the truck runs and idles fine once it starts.

Any help please

Old 03-31-2005, 04:25 PM
darin1

It is possible for the fuel system to hold pressure indefinatly....If all of the components are functioning properly....
BTW... what did your fuel pressure read??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 dodge ram starting problems