1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 Durango ABS light with pump

Old 03-30-2009, 12:18 AM
teck78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 Durango ABS light with pump

I am new to the Dodge forum. i got on because I have a ABS and brake light on with my abs pump on as well. As soon as i turn the key on i get the ABS pump on. any suggestions?

Last edited by teck78; 03-30-2009 at 12:49 AM. Reason: because
Old 03-30-2009, 11:48 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

replace the abs sensor on the rear axle

Old 03-30-2009, 03:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The sensor is located on the top of the rear differential.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:15 AM
teck78
Question Rear sensor

Thanks all....Will do the sensor hopefully tomorrow if time allows. looked at it today. Does it just pop out after the nut on the stud is removed?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 AM
DurangoILNG23

See my thread from 3/26/2009 "Anti-Lock (ABS) Fixed". I researched all I could on it and also replaced the speed sensor in the rear differential. It appeared to be the fix based on all those that had similar problems. You may want to check its resistance before changing it.

A better bet would be to take it to a shop that can do a computer download of the trouble code for a small diagnostic fee. Dodge did mine for $35.00 while it was in for an oil change. Later, we looked at trading the Durango in on a Saturn Outlook. That dealer looked my Durango and diagnosed it for free confirming the earlier finding. Wasn't especially happy to get offered $1000 less for it since the ABS and Brake warning lights were on.

Obviously wherever you take it has to have an ABS code reader -- the auto part stores I checked with didn't have that tester for use; only had the one for engine codes, etc.

After finding out it was the CAB (Computer Anti-lock Brakes) module, I sent it in for a $60fix. It's easy to R/R. The ebay page for the company (A.T.E.) listed a continuously running pump as one of symptoms of a bad CAB module. You should unplug the three electrical plugs at least to save your pump until you get er fixed.

Hope this helps...

Old 03-31-2009, 12:45 AM
DurangoILNG23

Concerning the rear differential sensor, if you research enough here (and dakota-durango.com) you will probably even find what size wrench to use along with other tips.

I don't exactly remember how much the part costs since I was buying other parts at the same time. It could have been more than the rebuild of the CAB module which I would expect to be more suspect based on your running pump.

The changing of the sensor itself was easy just make sure you don't force it trying to get the old one out, or putting the new one in. Easier said than done. After reading everyone's experience I just knew something would go south on me so I "micro-wiggled" it out, then same with the new one going in.

If the new one doesn't seat exactly, it was mentioned to turn the wheel a little and try it again. Make sure what you take out looks like the new one so you know part of it didn't stay inside the case. It doesn't take long if you choose to change it. I just crawled under there and didn't even need to lift the truck.

Let us know...

Last edited by DurangoILNG23; 03-31-2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-01-2009, 08:34 PM
teck78
Talking just a quick

I got the sensor, and was doing a couple of other things as well. So i had a couple of spare minutes so i tried it to see if i could get it done quick. crawled under and took the nut off the stud. tried to get the brakes lines clear but did not have the position right and it was not coming off. so then i tried to get the connector off and that did not happen. this was a quick 5 minute try. oh yeah hit my head on a shock bolt too..alittle blood ....still hurts and that was yesterday lol i will try more i think tomorrow it is raining here today. i will try the wiggle and see if that works. Thanks for all the info

T

Old 04-02-2009, 08:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I hate it when that happens!

Old 04-03-2009, 01:19 AM
teck78
Thumbs up Got it fixed

Today went to the junk yard and got that ABS whatever that sits by the brake booster 50 bones. Got home and started to replace the ABS sensor in the rear. Got that done but, still had the light and the pump. replaced the ABS what have ya and well it is good to go. took a drive and no abs/brake light. So fixed it. thanks to all of you and your big dodge brains. I do not even want to think of how much it would of cost at a shop. You guys kick ***. Thank you so very much....tomorrow if the weather is nice i will change the plugs, cap, and rotor. Again my hats off to you all

Last edited by teck78; 04-03-2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: no reason
Old 04-03-2009, 05:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Do a search on tune up parts for great info!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Durango ABS light with pump