2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

miss firing, back firing, cutting out! help!!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:23 PM
jeff2323
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default miss firing, back firing, cutting out! help!!

soo my truck started miss firing so bad the other day that i had to get it towed home. i replaced the plugs and wires and the check engine light went off and it stoped miss firing but now it back fires and smelt like sulfur and has no power?!?! so i cut out the cat thinking it was so clogged that it made it so i had no power but it still back fires and has no power?!?!

someone please help i dont know what to do at this point?

Old 04-05-2009, 06:55 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try replacing the coil, they are not expensive. If it doesn't help, you'll have an extra one for future troubleshooting . And btw, some more info would be helpful. Like does it do it all the time or just when cold or just when hot?

Old 04-05-2009, 02:46 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

If you haven't replaced your front O2 sensor, you might want to try that to. Pretty cheap thing to get, easy labor you can do yourself. My advice is to avoid Bosch. Just tried to hook up one of their sensors, the cable was 1/2" to short to plug into where it was supposed to. I double checked the part #, its right.

So I cut wires off the old sensor, cut the plug off the new one, and wired it to make it long enough. There are two white wires, not sure if it matters which one attaches to which plug terminal, but I tried both ways, didn't matter. Truck bogs down when I try to accelerate shortly after I start it, misses at low or high speed, and so on until its running for a while and then comes out of it. If I turn it off, same thing all over again next time I start it.

O'Reillys, my normal part store, just has Bosch and nothing else for O2 sensors. So I went to an independent local auto parts store, they had NTK (same company as NGK) sensors, which I've heard good things about. They don't have it in house, but at the warehouse. So I drive three or four miles to the opposite end of town in Saturday traffic with a misbehaving truck, get the part from the warehouse, go home. Attempt to install it later that night... they gave me the wrong sensor. They gave me one for a California emissions truck. *sigh* Plug doesn't fit.

So I will have to wait until Monday to do the exchange, and with my luck, they won't have the one I need on hand. Why have none of the 49-state sensor and lots of the Cali type in South Dakota, I don't know, but like I said, that'd be my luck.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:15 PM
jeff2323

it does it all the time the truck is not drivable!!

it has no cat right now it is basically open header because i cut the cat out

Old 04-05-2009, 07:21 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol that sucks. anyway, it still runs right? just runs extremely rough?

Old 04-05-2009, 07:29 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Front O2 sensor, coil, TPS. Those are the things I'd check. The coil or front O2 sensor should be first, IMO, the TPS last, to be checked/replaced.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:38 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might check the injectors that is what my truck did when my injectors went bad

Old 04-06-2009, 01:31 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

reroute plug wires?

Old 04-06-2009, 01:31 AM
jeff2323

replaced tho coil and nothing changed.

it has no cat therefor it has no front O2 sensor... could that be the problem?

Old 04-06-2009, 01:44 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

What year is it? If its before 1998, the O2 goes into the cat. If its 1998 or newer, the O2 sensor should go before where the cat went.

If it has no O2 sensor, yes, that could very well cause this problem. The computer would have no idea which way to mix the air/fuel together.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: miss firing, back firing, cutting out! help!!