1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 durango idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 04:02 AM
Gavin McCall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 98 durango idle issue

i have a 1998 dodge durango V8 5.2L with an automatic transmission. whenever i remove my foot from the gas pedal it dies. i notice that the rpms drop below the 1,000 mark before it quits(i belive that it hits something like 970 before dying) my theory is that the idle has fallen out of adjustment. i may be wrong but it makes sense to me. how do i go about adjusting that, and if that isnt the problem, what else could cause this? i just put a new battery in the vehicle(it had a 360 volt battery which to my understanding is nearly half what it requires, it now has a 600 volt unit if im not mistaken) as well as a starter and replaced all the fluids except transmission fluid(ive put some in but not replaced all of it/flushed the transmission which i need to have done but havent got the money) big thanks in advanced

EDIT: also i apologize if this has been covered but i figured that any similar problem didn't have the same circumstances, that said im looking through the back topics and if i fix it before any help comes my way ill say so and state my fix incase anyone else has a similar problem. also this vehicle has been a real pain and a money pit to boot so ill be back, im not about to let that money be wasted

Last edited by Gavin McCall; 04-09-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:23 AM
Gavin McCall
Wink a fully seperate issue for any who know

one additional annoyance and i know everyone here has probably seen this more than can be counted.

ok so as you may have guessed its the good ol window problem, now i dont want a fix because frankly i dont care if it rolls up or down i just want it up and not stuck DOWN!! so what can i do to get it off the track and jam it closed. or something like that...also i know the motor itself is bad. the plastic bits have been nearly shattered and are barely hanging on, i figure if i were to just finish busting up those plastic parts i would be able to slide it freely (provided those cables aren't busted as well, and id be able to jam something in between the glass and the seals. also what would be the best thing to jam in this area? or alternatively would it be safer or easier for me to just cut up some of the wood planks i have lying around. I'm not too bad at carpentry and i have plenty of wooden planks and dowels so it wouldn't be too terribly hard to fabricate some kind of system. like i said i don't give a crap about fixing the window I'm just tired of the wind on my freeway commute to work and general driving, and I'm sick of putting money into this truck.

Last edited by Gavin McCall; 04-09-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Neo1130
Veteran

WOW! YOU CANNOT IDLE UNDER 10K RPM? 600V BATTERY? Might want to get some information straight here.... LOL!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:58 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i think he means cant idle under 1k RPM (these trucks redline at like 6k ) and probably the CCA rating not volts, but i will wait for him to confirm

and on the issue with the window, it would be best to just fix it, you can probably get the entire unit out of a door from a junk yard for like $50 USD and just swap it in, but if you are set on just wedging it in there int he closed position it CAN be done, the best way is probably to duct tape it into position inside the door panel, but if you feel better with useing wood to hole it go for it, its YOUR truck.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Gavin McCall

aie, i was posting at way-too-early-oclock am your right though it wont idle under 1k, and its the cca not volts...i feel smart. anyways the nearest junkyard is a good 3 hour drive. and i plan on fixing it eventually just not now so the window is a temporary fix, ill ebay the items a bit later and see what i can come up with. thanks for the help with the window and in advance for the idle issue

Last edited by Gavin McCall; 04-09-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Neo1130
Veteran

LOL! It happens to the best of us... Just giving you a hard time newb! Really, I would help but I am an engine and electrical guy... Not a body guy...

For your idle issue, try to clean the throttle body the correct way... Take the throttle body off and take the sensors out of the TB... Clean very good... There is a how to on here somewhere that you can go by... You will need a new throttle body gasket... I had this same problem when I changed my battery, when the PCM was reset from the new battery, I think it was trying to learn with not enough air and too much fuel... While before the battery change, the PCM adapted to the dirty TB allowing it to idle...

Old 04-09-2009, 10:18 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a new battery and a new window motor.

Low RPM idle problems is classic battery related.

If the window is down and it dies there, it stays there.

IndyDurango

Old 04-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Gavin McCall

@neo it had the problem far worse before the new battery, hell i had to idle at 1400 rpm to keep it from dying so im fairly certain thats not THE problem but i dont see it making it any worse...unless i screw up but it seems simple enough that i shouldnt have a problem

@indy the battery is less than 2 weeks old so... and with the window, thats what i was afraid of.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I totally agree with Neo on this one.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Idle should be at around 600 RPM.

IAC or TPS but I think a good cleaning of the TB and sensors with a good Carb Cleaner, clean connection, PCM reset and some time to re-learn the settings is in order.

If that don't work replace the IAC.

Question is when was the last time you did a tune up and what parts did you use...... These rigs are picky!

Last edited by hydrashocker; 04-09-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 durango idle issue