2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Camshaft and cranksaft sensor replacement 2005 neon

Old 10-01-2008, 01:26 AM
InPsychOut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft and cranksaft sensor replacement 2005 neon

Hey all.
I just bought a used 2005 Neon with a manual transmission. It has a check engine light on, and the dealer said it needs new camshaft and crankshaft sensors. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a do-it-yourself fix to replace these? The dealer wanted over $550. Thanks!

*edited to note that I bought the car from a used car dealer, but took it to a local Dodge dealership service center to have it inspected before I bought it. The sensors were the only thing the inspection turned up. They said it looked like the rest of the car is in great shape. It's a 2005 SXT with about 42,000 miles.

Last edited by InPsychOut; 10-01-2008 at 05:39 AM. Reason: further explanation
Old 10-01-2008, 03:43 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

get a haynes manual..
theyre only like 18 bucks at pep boys and 19.99
at autozone...i would throw some stuff out there for
ya but im at work(UGH)...and since you just got the
car i would highly recommend you get one cause thats
prolly not the only problem...good luck!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:42 AM
InPsychOut

I checked around a little, and this seems to be a pretty common problem, and the parts are inexpensive from Advance or AutoZone. I guess my concern is someone in another thread said he likes to let a professional handle changing out sensors. But to me, it looks like you just take the old one off the engine, bolt the new one on, and plug in the wires. Is there any more to it than that?

I'll pick up a Haynes manual within a few days. I have bought one for the last three cars I've owned. But I'm sure I'll also be back here with some more questions.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:52 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by InPsychOut
I checked around a little, and this seems to be a pretty common problem, and the parts are inexpensive from Advance or AutoZone. I guess my concern is someone in another thread said he likes to let a professional handle changing out sensors. But to me, it looks like you just take the old one off the engine, bolt the new one on, and plug in the wires. Is there any more to it than that?

I'll pick up a Haynes manual within a few days. I have bought one for the last three cars I've owned. But I'm sure I'll also be back here with some more questions.
totally dude.they are worth the price and well always be here to help.and since im the only one thats on ill give you my input.

the sensors should bolt on.there are many types of sensors and they usually just bolt on with wires going to your engine bay wiring harnest.
just like an o2 sensor it should just un bolt and then the wires.some sensors pop in with plastic/metal clips so be carefull.but the hardcore ones are bolted on.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:42 AM
2004neonR/T
Professional

When you put the cam sensor in put a little bit of oil on the gasket. Helps it slide in smoother. Just a tip From a dodge mechanic.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:27 PM
rvrfsh
Default chiltons book is wrong

I have a 2005 neon and tryed to follow directions from my chiltons repair manual and from directions given in this forum but my crank sensor was not behind the drive axle on passenger side but on the radiator side of block rite below the starter. I hope this helps because it took awhile for me to find.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camshaft and cranksaft sensor replacement 2005 neon