1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

in tank filter/sock filter

Old 04-16-2009, 10:11 AM
wirtner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in tank filter/sock filter

is it ok to run my truck with out it because i found out that my friend that helped my drop the tank never put it back in he threw it out thinking i wouldnt need it where can i get it a new one or can i get an old one from a junkyard and just clean it and how would i go about cleaning it and if i can get a new one where could i and how much do you think it would rn

Old 04-16-2009, 08:00 PM
83dodgeswb4x4
Professional

The strainer is designed to keep contaminates out of the fuel pump which could cause premature failure of the pump. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to find a strainer in a junk yard. To clean it I would just rinse it out in a small dish of gas.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:04 PM
wirtner

well i did an experiment since im afraid of pulling onto the road to test it incase it dies ( i live next to a main road) i figured i could go up the side of the road realy fast like to the floor since its gravel well i foudn out it doesent die in reverse you can put it to the floor and it revs right up but in drive it does ok till it shifts and bogs then it wants to die but if you put it into nuetril quick then it doesent die only feels like its going too and if you let it sit ther and idle it shut off randomly. any ideas? any help would be greatly apreciated

parts replaced to date
:fuel filter twice
:rubber fuel lines
:carb rebuilt
:new coil
:new intake manifold gaskets
:cleaned egr
:new plugs wires and cap
: new voltage regulator
il and filter changed when intake gaskets
:had new fuel pump but didnt chnage anything so i took it back
:still have like no vacumme threw any of the lines but the brake booster

Old 04-17-2009, 05:45 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Advance auto sells those in tank strainers new and they aren't expensive. Sounds like a carb to manifold leak or plugged vacuum ports.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:48 PM
SEAL
Champion

You must fix the vacuum problem first before you can tell if anything else is wrong.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:32 PM
wirtner

how exactly do i do that? lol i had the intake off and gave it a crap load of silicone so i dont think the leakes there and the carb was just rebuilt so im thinking thats out so its all down to the vacumme
please and thank you for any help

Old 04-18-2009, 09:39 AM
SEAL
Champion

Usually the vacuum passage for the brake booster is large and not easily plugged. When you rebuilt the carb did you run a small wire thru all off the very tiny and easily plugged vacuum passages. Could you have gotten silicone into one or more of these passages when you installed it? These are things to think about. Could you have over or under tightened the carb bolts which could potentially cause a leak? Try spraying carb cleaner around where the carb meets the intake and see if there is any increase in engine RPMs as you do this. I don't see anything on this thread that says what you are working on so being specific is kind of hard. Rig the carb cleaner to each of the vacuum nipples and spray it while the truck is running. If you get no change in RPM the passage is plugged.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:26 PM
wirtner

well its a 1983 dodge d150 with a 2v 318 all the emissions stuff is gone (smog pump, the part that comes off the head into the air filter box, ect) but the charcol canister is still there. all the vacummes for it are hooked up on the tree looken thing that the brake boooster runs into are plugged it ran befor i put ****ty junkyard gas in it then it started feeling like it wanted to die and about 10 mins later it did now anytime i try to run it it shuts off randomly idleing and when i get on it trying to pull outa my drive way ( main road on a turn no ability to see whats comen )

Old 04-19-2009, 12:09 AM
moparborn
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It started when you put bad gas in the tank.
It may be work but I would drop the tank and flush it out thoroughly,then work your way from there rechecking every thing.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:13 AM
wirtner
Exclamation

ok well i droped the tank and flushed it with kerosean like my brother told me to do i dont know what its for does anyone know and also what do i do next and does anyone know if theres supossed to be a spring on the return line to keep that ball from sealing the line if so mines gone can i just drill out that ball and run it like that? thanks for any help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: in tank filter/sock filter