1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

BILSTEIN or MONROE??

Old 04-18-2009, 06:20 AM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BILSTEIN or MONROE??

I am intrigued by the Bilstein offer for the buy 3 get one free. I was at the local Monroe dealer and basically here is the scenario.

Bilstein, BST Heavy duty buy 3 get 1 free= $205

Monroe SENSATRAC $173 amounts are rounded off.

REFLEX $186

MONROMATIC $86 entry level, sounds cheap.

Monroe rep advises that REFLEX is more for offroad, and will actually be rough for street use.

With the above info, with the REFLEX ruled out due to my non off-road use, and MONROMATIC ruled out for entry level.

The questions is Bilstein or SENSATRAC.

Driving conditions, STREET, HIGHWAY, a unpaved driveway and also several potholes here in Northern VA. NO OFFROAD, (AT LEAST NOT INTENTIONALLY)

Local dealers have SENSATRAC in stock, Bilstein is N/A at least so far, I have not approached the idea of buying the bilsteins and having someone else install them, I know some dealers get touchy about that subject, so I want to use that as a last resort.

Estimates come in pretty close, at about $375 - $400 installed for SENSATRAC all four corners so with estimates about the same, will SENSATRACS be fine, or should I continue to try and push for Bilsteins?

I guess the question is, many paragraphs later.

Are Bilstein BST HD and MONROE SENSATRAC comparable, based on the driving conditions I described above?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 04-18-2009, 12:52 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yo be honest both of them would give you great performance.. I honestly doubt you could tell the difference if you didn't know what was installed on the truck.. Myself i am a Bilstein man but that does not mean Monroe top of the line products are not good.. Now if you went and bought the cheap one then yes you would be able to tell right away..

Old 04-18-2009, 01:32 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the monroe reflex shocks are whats installed on my truck (at least in the front) and they are JUST FINE for on road driving, might be a little stiffer than the worn out shocks on the truck now, but not rough for road driving at all, i actually wish i had stiffer shocks on my truck. now the sensatracs, i had them on my old truck, and i did NOT notice a difference btwn them and the factory shocks i had taken off when i put them on, i would suggest that you stay away from them and get the reflex, or the bilsteinds JMHO

Old 04-18-2009, 05:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Bilstein or Edelbrock IAS performer series.

Monroe is street garbage IMHO.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:16 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Not counting my vote, it sounds like 3-0 Bilstein. Indy, Kensai, Mean care to chime in? I figure Mean will chime in with Ranchos, but please refresh my memory. I think I might have fojund a local rep to allow his driveway for self install. That is a good start on the labor savings. Center console, radiator, trans cooler, center console anyone?

Thanks for the input.

Steve

Old 04-18-2009, 11:05 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Bilstein or Edelbrock IAS performer series.

Monroe is street garbage IMHO.
in my experience the monroes are fine as long as you dont off-road or tow a trailer, but if you do either of those things i would get better shocks

(i think this is what you are trying to say hydra)

Old 04-19-2009, 02:42 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

www.bilstein.com

Good enough as stock OEM equip on the SRT10 Ram, good enough for your (and my) Durango.

IndyD

Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blistein..
My vote supercede's theirs..
Why? Idk

Old 04-19-2009, 02:57 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the bils
Monroes are for H#?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:22 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

in my experience the monroes are fine as long as you dont off-road or tow a trailer, but if you do either of those things i would get better shocks

Possibly towing a trailer later this year so to be on the safe side I will put you down as a Bilstein man.

Seven zip in Favor of Bilsteins. Sounds like Bilstein's are the winner. I will know next Friday with payday, but $200 sounds fairly reasonable. Thanks for all the help!

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BILSTEIN or MONROE??