3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Left brake light out. Fuse?

Old 04-13-2009, 07:55 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left brake light out. Fuse?

So when i was leaving for school today the first time i stepped on the brake i got the 'ol lamp out light. so when i got home i checked all the lights and the driver side brake light doesnt work when i step on the brake. it works with the blinker and with the headlights on but not when the brake is pressed. \

The manual only says its either a bulb (which its not), or wiring problem. but could it possibly be a fuse? i dont have much knowledge at all in this department so any help is appreciated.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is probably the bulb that is usually why it goes out take it out and see if it is misty and you can also check the wiring to see if it is a bad connection but i had a right one with the exact same problem and a new bulb and it was good as new

Old 04-13-2009, 08:12 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

even though the bulbs worked with the blinker and the headlights?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes its the middle light for the brake the turn signal uses the upper bulb and the upper is also your driving light as well then the very bottom is the reverse light it takes about5-10 min depending if its seized up mine was a pain to take out because of that but once its out its done pretty much i cant remember the number for the bulb

Sounds dead on to what i had I would bet 20 bucks its a light out lol

Old 04-13-2009, 09:45 PM
TruckinChick

That happened to me as well. I thought it was a fuse too, but it was actually the curcit board that the lights are on. When the trucks go down the assembly line it is easier for them to use a curcit board on the cars now, it makes the vehicles go down the line fast...but that also means that its all electrical which also means that it will short faster. Before you freak out about it being a wiring problem, check out getting a curcit board for the rear. Plus it only cost like 15 bucks. And it's a quick fix. When you do this, I would replace all the lights as well to make sure that none of the other bulbs go bad that way you keep all the bulbs up to date.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:53 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

alrighty, i think ill try thr bulb first, hopefully thatll be it...

Old 04-14-2009, 05:58 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TruckinChick
That happened to me as well. I thought it was a fuse too, but it was actually the curcit board that the lights are on. When the trucks go down the assembly line it is easier for them to use a curcit board on the cars now, it makes the vehicles go down the line fast...but that also means that its all electrical which also means that it will short faster. Before you freak out about it being a wiring problem, check out getting a curcit board for the rear. Plus it only cost like 15 bucks. And it's a quick fix. When you do this, I would replace all the lights as well to make sure that none of the other bulbs go bad that way you keep all the bulbs up to date.
+2 i had a bad circuit board too. 20$ from the stealership. the mechanic told me it was a common problem and they sell lots of them.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:55 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

I would try the bulb first and if that don't get it then, like some others said, look into the circuit board.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:54 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

now, where is the circuit board located, under the hood? sorry for the ignorance, im not much when it comes to electronics...??

Old 04-19-2009, 09:26 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its the board that your bulbs plug into, inside the tail lights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Left brake light out. Fuse?