3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

FRI Sidewinder, Anyone Running One?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FRI Sidewinder, Anyone Running One?

Well, if things work out and I can get one of my houses sold this summer I am thinking I might put a cam in. I have been doing some searching and kind of like the FRI Sidewinder. Mainly I like this cam bc of the facts that it makes good power gains and can be run with just a superchip or a superchip with a piggyback. Not needing to get a custom tune is very important bc I just don't feel like having to get another tuner. So, is anyone running this cam and what kind of results are you getting? Also, if you have any other suggestions of a cam I can run with the sc (no 6.1 cams) I am always open to suggestions.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:05 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the inertia motor sports cams. I am going with either thier spartan cam or crazy spartan cam, and will have it made specifically to be ran with the superchips programer. I had a guy that lives around here give me a ride in his truck with a spartan cam installed and let me tell ya that thing hauls ***. The only thing they reccomend doing is installing new 6.1 springs and push rods.

http://www.inertiamotorsports.com/camshafts.html

Old 04-20-2009, 01:33 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Where abouts are you in PA?

Old 04-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

About 20 minutes outside Philly.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:47 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

I would look into a custom grind. The sidewinder is a good cam, but it's designed to work well in quadcabs, regular cabs, chargers, challengers, etc. It' a great one size fits all cam, but you can get a lot more bang for your buck with a custom grind and still keep the easy tuneability. My cam pulls hard right from 1500.

Are you planning on doing your own install?

Old 04-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by truckin151
Look at the inertia motor sports cams. I am going with either thier spartan cam or crazy spartan cam, and will have it made specifically to be ran with the superchips programer. I had a guy that lives around here give me a ride in his truck with a spartan cam installed and let me tell ya that thing hauls ***. The only thing they reccomend doing is installing new 6.1 springs and push rods.

http://www.inertiamotorsports.com/camshafts.html
I have emailed Stu to see what he recommends for my application. I hear a lot of good things about his cams so we will see what he says.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
I would look into a custom grind. The sidewinder is a good cam, but it's designed to work well in quadcabs, regular cabs, chargers, challengers, etc. It' a great one size fits all cam, but you can get a lot more bang for your buck with a custom grind and still keep the easy tuneability. My cam pulls hard right from 1500.

Are you planning on doing your own install?
What cam are you running in your truck? Custom grind?

As far as the install goes, I thought about doing it myself but I think I am just going to have someone do it for me. I have been talking to Matt from over on dt and he will do the whole job for $550. That is the best price I have found so I am probably going to just let him do it for me while I am out of the country later this summer.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

So I did a little emailing with Stu from inertia and he recommends the Crazy Spartan for my needs. After doing a lot more reading about SC friendly cams, I think I am either going to go with the Sidewinder or the Crazy Spartan. Any feedback on either one of these cams? They both have specs that are fairly similar so I am wondering if anyone has used one or the other.

Also, thanks truckin151 for suggesting the Crazy Spartan, I didn't know that cam could be run on just a SC tune.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:32 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Well Im in the same boat as you cause I dont want to ditch my SC just yet and pay another 300-500 for something else. I'll be doing mine around the end of may possibly into june. I need to talk some more with stu and the guy that will be installing it. I want to see if he can make the spartan cam work with the SC with a custom grind on it. (I was also thinking of doing their heads as well but not sure if I can justify the extra $1500-$2000 just yet, thats a real hard one to get the wifes approval on)

Old 04-20-2009, 06:37 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
What cam are you running in your truck? Custom grind?

As far as the install goes, I thought about doing it myself but I think I am just going to have someone do it for me. I have been talking to Matt from over on dt and he will do the whole job for $550. That is the best price I have found so I am probably going to just let him do it for me while I am out of the country later this summer.
I'm running a custom grind similar to a sidewinder. Matt and I did mine and he is very competent at doing this. I was actually going to recommend him if you needed someone. lol. He has a nice shop and all of the specialty tools necessary to do it right. I posted a real cheesy install video a while back that showed what the cam was capable of.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FRI Sidewinder, Anyone Running One?