3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

07 Transmission Issue Hard Down Shift

Old 03-13-2009, 09:34 PM
mshardee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Transmission Issue Hard Down Shift

Just bought a 07 2x4 with the 4.7L, this is my first Dodge. I am a mechanic for Honda, so I am lost when it comes to my Dodge. My problem is when slowing down from over 40, around 28-25 mph, my truck down shifts very hard with almost a thump feeling. I have searched the forum and found nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

Did u check fluid levels etc?
Does it do it everytime, or only sometimes?
You best bet is if its under warranty, to let them hook it up to the starscan and check things out. Did you do the turn the key on off, on off for three times leaving it in the on position to see if you can pull a code. A tranny code may pop up if you do it. That will help alot. The mileage bar should say "done" or P ????. If you get a number post it and well get back, if it says done and nothing pops up, your going to have to have a dodge tech sit in the car and replicate the problem for him, theyll hook it up to the star scan and see whats wrong.
Welcome to the forum sorry your first post is a problem with your vehicle...

Old 04-22-2009, 06:53 PM
azdecals
Default any update?

Is there an update for this question?
I just bought an '07 and the transmission is doing the exact same thing. Is this a know issue? Is this big problems for my new truck?

It's got 34K miles so it's still under B2B warranty, but it sucks that it's doing that. It doesn't do it every time. It seems if I'm breaking hard, it does it much less, if I start to break, then just the the truck slow on it's own is when I get the biggest "jolt" on the down shift.

azdecals

Old 04-22-2009, 07:25 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like either a sticking solenoid or the PCM needs reflashed if an update is available.
I haven't had any issues with my 08.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 PM
mshardee

I checked with dodge and there is no flash for the pcm with the trans that I have in it. Fluid level is good. One tech said it could be the front pump? Going round with my deal who sold it to me as 90day 3000mile drive train warrant. Any on else having this problem before?

Old 04-23-2009, 04:36 PM
azdecals

I haven't spoken with my dealer yet, but this TSB sounds like the problem we are having. I need to check to see if this is the transmission I have. I'm not to sure how I'd do that though. (the speed described is a little off, but it sounds like the problem we are having)

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2007/21-019-07.htm

Symptom/Condition:
The customer may experience a harsh downshift from the transmission when coming to a stop. When a vehicle stop is initiated from 4th gear (around 40 Km/h or 25 MPH), the harsh downshift condition will usually occur as the vehicle decelerates to a speed of about 16 Km/h (10 MPH) . If the transmission is in 2nd, 3rd, 5th, or 6th gear, when the stop is
initiated, the condition will not be present. This may cause the condition to appear to be intermittent to the customer. Because the harsh downshift may occur below 16 Km/h (10 MPH), the customer may believe that they are experiencing a harsh 2 - 1 downshift.

Some customers may also experience a harsh 2-3 upshift during normal acceleration. This symptom is less common than the harsh coastdown shift.

azdecals

Old 04-23-2009, 07:25 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

That is the 6 speed auto trans behind the Cummins Diesel.
You should have a 545RE I believe.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:35 PM
mshardee

That is correct. We have the 545RE which doesnt fall under the tsb. I cant beleave there is so let respones that others have had this problem before.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:50 PM
azdecals

Update:
I took my truck back to the dealer to have some dents removed (part of the purchase) When I dropped it off to told them I wanted them to check the trans as it was doing the hard down shift thing. What follows is the tech notes from the invoice:
c/s the trans clunks when it downshifts from above 45mph.
advise.
ck trans fluid. red and full. ck for codes. found no codes. ck cvis. ok withink speck. road tested. found trans had harsh downshift at 55 to 50 and harsh upshift again at 50 to 55. ck for software updates. found TSB 18-035-07 to reprogram tcm.
reprogrammed tcm. quick learned tcm. road tested. trans is now shifting within spec. mo 35523

Not sure where the 50-55 thing came from. I explained that it was happening for me at 25-28. They kept the truck over night and tested it again the next day. They drove it ~20-25 miles.

So far it seems that the update did fix the shift problem I was having. They also did a recall fix at the same time. It was recall j05 egr diagnostic monitor updated pcm
not sure if that had anything to do with it, just an FYI.

Hope the issue doesn't come back, and I hope you folks get your issue resolved.

azdecals

Last edited by azdecals; 05-06-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:57 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Good deal, glad to hear your issue is resolved. Thanks form coming back to post so that it may help others with the issue...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 Transmission Issue Hard Down Shift