3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P 0420 code question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:00 PM
BiggBlu601
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P 0420 code question?

I did a little research on here about this code shown above and iv gotta a few other questions. Its a code that is showing on my wife's 05 2wd hemi ram. Can she still drive the truck or will i have pull the o2 sensor out and replace it first?? Its seems not a big code to worry about from what iv seen on other posts. I take it it is the sensor on the driver side from what iv read. Is there any more info i might have missed anyone can give me? the truck seems to be fine and hasnt lost anything from what she can tell. any help would be great. thanks

Old 04-25-2009, 09:44 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

420 is a low efficiency cat code...more than likely your driverside cat is bad. It's possible it could be the o2 but when the o2 goes it'll usually throw a code saying it's stuck high/low or it's just a lazy switcher. The bad part is unless the cat was just defective from the factory replacing it is just fixing the symptom not the cause...so it'll happen again down the road. Have you noticed any extra coolant loss lately? Is it throwing any rich/lean codes on that bank?

Old 04-25-2009, 10:07 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Woohoo!!

Old 04-26-2009, 09:30 AM
BiggBlu601
Veteran

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
420 is a low efficiency cat code...more than likely your driverside cat is bad. It's possible it could be the o2 but when the o2 goes it'll usually throw a code saying it's stuck high/low or it's just a lazy switcher. The bad part is unless the cat was just defective from the factory replacing it is just fixing the symptom not the cause...so it'll happen again down the road. Have you noticed any extra coolant loss lately? Is it throwing any rich/lean codes on that bank?
Not that im aware of on the coolant. It hasnt thrown any codes of and kind since we have had the truck. I purchased it almost a year ago with 54k now it has around 72k on it. Like i said my wife doenst raw hide anything so its pretty much slow and go lol. If fixing to change the oil and i will double check the coolant and see what it does. Is it going to hurt her to drive it for a litle while until i have a new cat put on or have any other issue done? or should i just ground the truck.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:27 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

It'll be fine....I had a 430 code on my maro for 8+ months before fixing it. OBD II standards are really high...the code is just saying the cat isn't meeting those standards but it still works. You'd notice it right away if the cat was even close to being plugged...truck would run like butt on a rainbow.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:55 PM
BiggBlu601
Veteran

aight man thanks a bunch.

Quick Reply: P 0420 code question?