3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help with front driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 03:12 AM
newbike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with front driveshaft

I have a 2004 Ram with hemi, and the front end is making HUGE noises from what appears to be the front right tire area. I can see its not a wheel bearing, and now I'm wondering if my U-joint may be bad? Its kinda a very loud "grinding sound", and almost sounds like a rock or something is caught up in the brake rotor (its not though).

I went to take off my front driveshaft and took off the front 4 bolts holding it on. I cannot however see how you remove the other end of the shaft that goes into the transfer case?? when I simply pull on it, there is a small "boot" that just seems to extend out, but the shaft will NOT come out of the transfer case. I just want to take the shaft off, so I can then drive truck without it in, and see if that was the problem.

Any idea's how I can get this out??

Old 04-26-2009, 12:40 PM
newbike

no love here for the new guy?? There MUST be SOMEONE on here that knows how to take off the front driveshaft on these trucks??

Old 04-27-2009, 12:17 AM
i-love-my-dodge

If im not mistakin i think the front shafts on our trucks are flange mounted at the t-case. It has been a while since I have had to take one off though, if it is the slip yoke style though then cut the clamp off that rubber boot at the t-case then pop it with a pry bar. sometimes they can be ignorant.

souns like you make have a seized u joint somewhere, i am assuming you have a 1500 so the only u joints you have are the front and rear shafts, so when you get it off just make sure they move freely. check your cv axles too could be many things but i think you are on the right track.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 AM
JohnnyZJ
Professional

if its a slip yoke it should slide right out should it not? does on my jeeps. your a step ahead of me though. my axle end flange is rusted to teh pinion. i took the 4 bolts off and i can't even get it to budge...........

Quick Reply: Please help with front driveshaft