3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Tick

Old 03-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Davd901
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Tick

My engine is ticking and it's getting louder. I took it to a deler two times, and they said that it's normal for a Hemi to sound like that. I know It didn't do it when I bought the truck; if it did I wouldn't have it right now. Anyways, I hear people changeing to a different oil and it goes away sometimes. I use M1 5w-30. I also hear it's the EGR valve? Just curious if anyone had any input here.

I'm takeing it to a different dealer and see what they have to say. If I can't get it resolved, I may trade it in. I like the truck but the ticking has got ot go. Thanks.

David

Old 03-14-2005, 12:24 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hemi Tick

I've got 14K on mine and haven't had a problem with it. Every Hemi I've heard run has a slight ticking noise. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:19 AM
345Hemi

mine has a slight tick to it as well... mainly when it's cold. i'm not worried unless it starts to sound like a knock.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:59 PM
WingViper
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same tick, had it checked out, said its normal. Talked to a buddy of mine and he says the ticking is normal for this type of engine (a pushrod i believe). Said its because the oil drains to the bottom and has to work its way back up to the lifters and such.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:36 PM
PMopar

For what it's worth, mine has 6,900 miles. I didn't have or at least didn't notice any ticking until it seemed just after 5,000 miles. Now, I can definitely hear it. From looking into this, though, it seems a lot of people have experienced the no tick to tick syndrome and most seem to chalk it up to the lifters following break-in. Most people also say that as long as it doesn't get noticeably louder than should be fine. Doesn't hurt to take it to another dealer, though, for your own sanity.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:05 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

I think you might be abit paranoid of your truck getting older possibly. Magnum owners with the Hemi are also saying the same thing about the slight ticking noise, but it's normal for the Hemi to do so.

-Matt-

Old 03-15-2005, 09:55 AM
mill500
Veteran

I've got about 16k on it and have the same thing and also use Mobil1 5w30. It seems to be coming from the passenger side near the front. I agree that I don't remember it when it was new. Everybody says don't worry about it, so I haven't up to now. I haven't had any reason to take it in (I do my own oil) but I'll probably have them look at it whenever I do, and probably get told not to worry about it.

For whatever it's worth, I have the same type of ticking on my 99 Wrangler. They kept it for two days when it was new (and forgot to unplug the underhood light and melted it) and decided it was either in the injector or EGR but wasn't a rod or lifter.

Old 03-15-2005, 01:16 PM
DonG
Veteran

13,000 miles and absolutely no ticking.

Old 03-15-2005, 01:38 PM
jr

I have a 2003 Hemi and it ticked since new.Took it back to the dealer and checked out a new one and it did the same thing.Emailed Dodge and they E-mailed me back and said they knew about the problem and said it was an exhaust leak and that there nothing they could do at the moment.Now I'm a mechanic and believe it is a lifter tick and they don't want to go to the expense to repair it.Several 2004 I have checked after that do not have the tick.I also don't beleive Hemi's are built or designed with lifter ticks that get louder sometimes.I have alsochanged the viscosity of my oil to see if efected the tick and found no real change.
So I'm as frustrated as the rest of you in this matter.It doesn't bother me enough yet to replace the lifters but if it gets that loud that will be the fix.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:12 PM
DonG
Veteran

I've heard everything from transmission, fuel injector, lifters, etc. as the source for the tick. Several lost it after the dealer replaced broken valve springs. I've also read threads where it went away with certain oils. Mostly 5w-20 sythetic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hemi Tick