1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Coolant temp / IAT sensor

Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Coadster
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant temp / IAT sensor

I pulled 2 codes from my truck last night. The coolant temperature sensor and the IAT sensor are gone. I just need to know how to access the coolant temp, its tucked in behind the alternator. Do I have to remove the alternator? Or is there a way to get to it? I'll be picking up an IAT sensor tonight as well, and just need to know where it's located. From previous experiences, it should be on the side of the intake manifold.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No you don't have to remove the alt. But it is the essayer way to do it. Takes 5 mins to take it off.

The IAT is located on the intake manifold just behind the alternator on the intake.

A quick tip before you do the Coolant sensor drain out the cooling system into a pan or bucket so you don't have it coming out all over the engine and not reuseable.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 04-28-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:03 PM
ModT
Professional

Since you guys are on topic about sensors, Does anyone have an image of where the oil pressure switch is? I have the drawn diagram but an actual motor itself, do you have a pic where it is located? Thanks.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:23 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ModT
Since you guys are on topic about sensors, Does anyone have an image of where the oil pressure switch is? I have the drawn diagram but an actual motor itself, do you have a pic where it is located? Thanks.
Yeah that diagram of it sucks. Here is a picture...

DSCN0222.jpg?t=1240939363

Old 04-28-2009, 04:12 PM
ModT
Professional

Ok, I found it, its really hard to access, so i guess i have to buy a socket wrench that will fit it because it screws in and i cant get at it with a cresent or any wrench.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Coadster
Rookie

Alrighty I got the IAT sensor sorted out, went out and bought a new one. However My local parts store doesnt stock the RIGHT coolant temp sensor, it says its for the 95 3.9l but its not the right connection. The one's they stock have 2 prongs on the actual sensor, yet the connection only has one. The shape of the sensor connection itself is also different. What gives? Any ideas? And just to confirm, a bad coolant temp sensor can make an engine run funny right? Once mine has been idling for a few minutes, it begins to rev slightly higher than lower until it adventually stalls. Hopefully it IS just a bad coolant temp sensor.

Thanks guys

Old 04-29-2009, 02:17 PM
ModT
Professional

Ok, So I tried to get the switch out with a 1 & 1/16 socket wrench and i cant get it out. My boyfriend told me that I cant undo the spark plugs cause it will screw up the motor? If I dont get them mixed up and put them back in the same place how could that do anything to the motor?

I just want to know if I can take them out without making anything go wrong with the motor?

I know this seems liek a stupid question, Im pretty sure that it wont do anything to the motor, or anything to screw up the truck, But I thought I would ask you guys before I just go and do it.

That switch is so stuck, that there is no way that I would be able to twist it out, I need to get in there not just my fingertips.lol

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

coadster there are 2 coolant temp sensors. 1 with 2 wires goes to the computer and 1 with 1 wire goes to the guage. So since I'm guessing you have gotten a code for the coolant sensor you should replace the 2 wire one. One is on the right side of the thermostat housing and one on the left.

ModT You would need a good deep socket to reach it. Or the spacial tool. Check a few posts back and there is a picture of the special socket with part number. You can buy it at most auto parts stores.

And you can not screw up the engine by removing the spark plugs. BUT you can mess it up if you don't put back the correct plug wire to the correct plug. So DO ONE AT A TIME, and you wont mess anything up. Autolights 3923 is going to be the best for our engines. They are cheep. Ask for them by part number ONLY!

Old 04-29-2009, 02:41 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ModT
Ok, So I tried to get the switch out with a 1 & 1/16 socket wrench and i cant get it out. My boyfriend told me that I cant undo the spark plugs cause it will screw up the motor? If I dont get them mixed up and put them back in the same place how could that do anything to the motor?

I just want to know if I can take them out without making anything go wrong with the motor?

I know this seems liek a stupid question, Im pretty sure that it wont do anything to the motor, or anything to screw up the truck, But I thought I would ask you guys before I just go and do it.

That switch is so stuck, that there is no way that I would be able to twist it out, I need to get in there not just my fingertips.lol

Thanks!
as long as you mark which wire went to which cylinder (spark plug hole), it doesnt matter, ive had my plugs out so many times to know that it doesnt matter. only other thing to make sure of is that you tighten the spark plugs properly. im not sure on the torque rating, but what i do is tighten them hand tight, and then 3/4's of a turn. or until i feel that they are snug enough in there. even if you screw the firing order up somehow, its fixable, all you need is the haynes book (or any other manual you may use, ie. chilton, etc.) and just look up the firing order and cylinder numbers, and follow the wires from the distributor cap.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:43 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Autolights 3923 is going to be the best for our engines. They are cheep. Ask for them by part number ONLY!
what is the part number on those? i need to do my plugs and i wanted to get me some of those since ive heard such good things about them in our trucks. also, she doesnt want to replace the plugs, she just wants the plugs and wires out of the way so that she can reach the sensor better..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant temp / IAT sensor