2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Whine

Old 05-07-2009, 09:41 PM
snowzach
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Whine

Hi, I'm a new Dodge owner. I bought myself a 2001 5.2 4x4 the other day with 94k miles. Not a bad truck it seems so far. I've expected to have to put some work into it. Done front U-joints and wheel bearings so far. It's got the check engine light on with codes:

P1763 Governor Pressure Sensor Volts Too High

The tranny sounds like it's making sort of a whining sound. Much like an outdoor hose spigot when it's almost shut off, like there might be air in the fluid or something. It was low and I topped it off (ATF+4) but no difference. It seems to actually shift fine, fluid looks okay.

So basically, I was thinking of doing the check valve fix I read about as well as a fluid and filter change. Sounds like I might replace that governor sensor as well while I'm inside the tranny as well as check for lose and rubbing wires to that sensor.

What do you all think of the whining sound? Is this a normal Dodge noise? I don't know much about them and I wasn't able to find anything about a whining noise. As well, besides what I mentioned, any fixes or other preventative maintenance I should do?

Thanks All!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:15 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you check the trans fluid in NEUTRAL not park. Of course, parking brake on, wheels chocked, flat surface, etc.
Does the whining sound happen in all gears or just park?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:35 PM
snowzach

Yep, I checked it in neutral. It actually only makes the sound when the car is moving.

It's a hard sound to put into words, basically it sounds like what I think is tiny air bubbles being pushed around in the tranny might sound like. It sounds like it's following the transmission speed for the most part as well.

It shifts fine, I'm hoping I don't have to rebuild it.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:43 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In D, foot on brake, truck stopped - no noise?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:54 PM
snowzach

Nope... Only when you push on the gas.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:02 PM
dwilkinson

Are you sure it is coming from the transmission?
Mine made a sound like that but it was do to air in the heater core.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 AM
snowzach

I certainly won't say I'm certain it's coming from the tranny. I don't know this truck well at all. How do you fix air in the coolant lines? Is there a bleeder somewhere?

Old 05-08-2009, 12:19 AM
snowzach

Certainly helps to have the right search keywords. I guess a lot of people have had a similar sound. I don't know why but never occurred to me it might be coolant. Seemed too tied to engine speed, but that would make sense too since water pump I assume is belt driven.

Thanks for the tips! It's always nice to have a good forum with helpful members. I'm already liking this truck more because of that.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 PM
canadian_white

hey i am new to dodge to just bought my dodge its a 1998 4x4 1500 ext cab short box and my tranny whines very loud like it sounds like my truck is supercharged and its not or sounds like a power steering whine and i no it comes from my tranny it dosent do it in park or neutral and only whines in all the other gears

Old 11-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by canadian_white
hey i am new to dodge to just bought my dodge its a 1998 4x4 1500 ext cab short box and my tranny whines very loud like it sounds like my truck is supercharged and its not or sounds like a power steering whine and i no it comes from my tranny it dosent do it in park or neutral and only whines in all the other gears
That sure is one looong run on sentence to read..

The following users liked this post:
Team_sunseri (04-04-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Whine