3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Steering Shaft or U joint

Old 05-08-2009, 11:20 AM
boopadoopa
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Shaft or U joint

Anyone ever change one of these? My Dak is hard steering and I am not finding any loss of fluid.. The pump is staying at the full line. Lines are dry and the rack is showing no wet areas. Ive had this problem about 3 weeks so ive been monitoring it for awhile. Im guessing it might be the U Joint. It is not always hard to steer. I replaced all the oil in the pump Just as a precaution but nothing? Any Suggestions. I Oiled up the U Joint but nothing. Any TSB,s on it?

Old 05-09-2009, 02:27 AM
ramos160
Professional

I had this problem also, they replaced the power steering pump and the "shaft intermediate." I just looked at my bill it says they found the lower intermediate steering shaft knuckle seizing and binding, dangerous to steer, replaced intermediate shaft. They charged me $560 to change those two things, parts included.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Southbound
Rookie

Originally Posted by ramos160
I had this problem also, they replaced the power steering pump and the "shaft intermediate." I just looked at my bill it says they found the lower intermediate steering shaft knuckle seizing and binding, dangerous to steer, replaced intermediate shaft. They charged me $560 to change those two things, parts included.
This is exactly what has happened to mine. Seized knuckle, $403 including labour but thats just with a rebuild. A brand new part would be $375 on its own.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Marc O
Default Mid Shaft

I live in Alaska and I am having sticky steering problems. I was told that it is the mid shaft that is rusting and I need to change out the mid shaft. Will see if that is the problem.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:58 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

I had a similar problem. Mine was making a ticking noise and sometimes it got hard. I took her to the dealer and there was a bulletin on it and it was change at no cost by the dealer!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 12:14 AM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think my intermediat shaft is bad but i dont have enough money to get it changed

Old 06-15-2010, 07:40 AM
'06RedDak

I had to have my intermediate shaft replaced earlier this year. $456 parts and labor, mostly the part. My Dakota has a 3-piece shaft, and there are no after-market replicas (go figure.) But my steering was loose, felt like a worn tie rod. I also had creaking and groaning sounds as I would turn the wheel. Steers like a brand new truck. You guys are having the opposite problem - tight steering. Interesting...

Old 06-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by '06RedDak
I had to have my intermediate shaft replaced earlier this year. $456 parts and labor, mostly the part. My Dakota has a 3-piece shaft, and there are no after-market replicas (go figure.) But my steering was loose, felt like a worn tie rod. I also had creaking and groaning sounds as I would turn the wheel. Steers like a brand new truck. You guys are having the opposite problem - tight steering. Interesting...

I am having the same issue as 06RedDak, I am down to replacing the Rack, or the shaft, but cannot figure which one is bad. My steering is loose and sometimes think i hear creaking and groaning sounds while turning. I am glad to see someone else is having same issues. It is going to cost me the same to replace the rack, or replace the shaft, so I want to make sure I make the correct choice.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:00 PM
'06RedDak

I had that creaking and groaning issue whenever turning. Tech said it wasn't a safety issue, but I replaced it anyway. It started creaking a little when it was under warranty, but i never knew it was the shaft starting to go out. A new tie rod or ball joints would have been cheaper.
By the way, the intermediate shaft is a three-piece part, probably why there are no aftermarket replicas.
Good luck!

Old 06-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Default ?

Me my truck pulls to the right and is harder to turn left and easy on right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Shaft or U joint