3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Just got sweet oil change coupon from dealer

Old 05-12-2009, 02:01 PM
reitman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got sweet oil change coupon from dealer

I have been using synthetic in my truck, but I may have to rethink it. I just got a coupon from my dealer for oil changes. Buy one at $30 and get the next 3 for free. You have 24 months from first change to get the next three.

If I didn't have the horrible diesel rattle at startup, I probably wouldn't switch, but since I figure something is going to break sooner or later and need major repair, why not save some cash and switch back to dino oil.

I know it's a pipe dream, but maybe, just maybe when it's at the dealer for a change, they will hear the diesel rattle and look into it. Or, I could just tell them about it, but after reading stories on here about the drama getting dealers to acknowledge the rattle, I'm not holding my breath.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:41 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

check your exhaust manifolds for leaks. me and a few others have had the bolts break off the manifolds and cause that noise.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:32 AM
jagass
Professional

It's nice...

Old 05-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Racinartist
All Star

Got the same offer here. Too bad I run synthetic and I'm sure I'd get the runaround from them like, 'oh that offer doesn't apply to synthetic oil changes' or some other BS. The more experience I have with dealers, the more I buy into the whole "stealership" concept.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:26 PM
newmexicoram
Veteran

Ha-Ha. I received an oil change coupon for $10 from the dealer I got my Dak from. Only problem is the dealer went bankrupt and is in hot water for not paying off cars traded in. Of course some of his most recent customers are in deep s*** with their credit because the bank wants the monthly payment for the car they traded in!!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:50 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by newmexicodak
Only problem is the dealer went bankrupt and is in hot water for not paying off cars traded in.
This is exactly what happened to me! Ruined my ****ing credit! When I traded in my Ram for the Dak, they didn't pay off my Ram for like 65 days. Dropped my credit score roughly 60 points...I wish I had the money to sue.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:05 PM
reitman
Rookie

How can I check for an exhaust manifold leak? I know how to check the intake, but not exhaust.

So, I guess the stealer isn't going to cover any broken bolts. Freaking awesome!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 11:15 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Deisel rattle IS NOT the exhaust leak....I currently have both. The deisel rattle is probably valve lash adjusters, or timing chair tensioner. Lots and lots and lots of 4.7s and 5.7s have this "feature". The exhaust leak is a loud ticking piff. Once you hear it, it's unmistakeable, and makes the truck sound like a real jalopy. Both mainly happen when the engine is cold, so you'd have to leave it overnight at the dealer.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:03 AM
reitman
Rookie

Mine doesn't seem to make as much of a noise when it's warm or hot out. In the winter it was much more noticeable.

Would this point more towards exhaust?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just got sweet oil change coupon from dealer